Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP on 3650 switch vs 3750 switch

PaulMuller2020
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a system that consists of two 3750 switches.

The SNMP manager software sends the switch the 'get request' command with the following data 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.8.10101 to 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.8.10128.  This is requesting the ifOperStatus of the switch ports. The switch then replies with an SNMP ‘get –response’ with an error status of ‘noError’ and the 28 numbered reports.  So this works correctly.

I tried replacing the 3750 switches with 3650 switches.  The SNMP manager sends the  'get request' and receives a 'get response' but with an error status of 'noSuchName' and zeros for all the interface statuses.  A quick experiment showed that the '10101' part of the request was not understood by the 3650 switch.  If I change the 10101 to 3, I do get a correct response.  So it would appear that the interface numbers are not the same for both switches.  What I want to do is replace the 3750 switches with 3650 switches, but not change the software on the manager.  So the new 3650 switches would interpret the 10101 at interface 1, etc.

Can this be done?  is there a way of configuring the switch to interpret the messages and give the same responses as the 3750 switch?  I do not want to change the software on the manager, as it is part of an embedded system which would have to be re-qualified if the software changes.

This is my first foray into SNMP, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Very likely not as this snmp-outputting is sometimes also related to the different underlying hardware being used, You will have to adapt the 'snmp sensoring' accordingly.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card