Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP Trap to enable monitoring Cisco 3850, 9300 and Nexus Switches

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

currently only CPU and memory are being monitored in solarwinds for our cisco switches: 3850, 9300, N5K, ME3600x, etc.

i would need to add hardware monitoring for the hot swap modules, i.e. fans and power supply.

is there a specific SNMP trap that i need to configure/enable?

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi John,

As far as I know, when you add any of these devices to SW, it should by default monitor, CPU, memory, fans, PSUs, etc.. and you should be able to see that in the summary page for that device. If not you can always click on the specific device and than click on "edit node" to see what is being monitored. This is all done in NPM.

HTH

hi reza,

when i edit a SW node, i saw we're using the default 'use global setting' under hardware health polling option for cisco MIB.

it seem it's just the CPU, memory, temperature MIB are being monitored.

i'll ask our SW admin to create a custom MIB to help monitor these modules in case of a failure.

i've already configured SNMPv3 and added/polled the switch in our SW.

is there any additional SNMP config or trap i need to add on the cisco switch? or is this just a tweak (MIB) in SW like i mentioned?

Hi John,

The other place to look is under "manage resources" where the "Hardware Health Sensors" icon should be checked.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card