cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Solaris NIC aggregation on two 6509 switches

Richard Dumag
Level 1
Level 1

We have Solaris v10 server with 4 NICs and two 6509 switches.  We aggregated the 4 NICs for speed, load balancing, and redundancy using LACP protocol on both Solaris and the two 6509 switches.  We connected 2 NICs (bge0 and bge1) to switch 1 and the other 2 NICs (bge1 and bge2) to switch 2.  So far only one switch is working.  We can ping the server.

The show etherchannel command on the 6509s shows the ports on the port-channel as "bundled" on one switch.  But the other switch shows the ports as "waiting to be aggregated".

We tried moving the cables around with the same result.  One switch will say "bundled" and the other "waiting to be aggregated.

Did we miss something on the configuration on the switches or server?  Or maybe what we are trying to do is not supported on either Solaris or Cisco.

Attached are the configurations for the switches and server.  Any info is appreciated.

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You have 2 NICs to one switch and the other 2 to the second switch.  Unless your 6500 switches are in VSS mode, this config will not work.

VSS is similar to stacking Cisco 3750s together, but it is used specifically on the 6500 series.

HTH

Reza

Thanks Reza.  No VSS mode but thanks for bringing it up.  I will certainly look in to VSS.  Sound like a great solution.  Thanks for the quick response.

Rich,

Here is a good document on VSS.  The first thing you need to look at is the Sup module.  The only Sup that supports VSS is Sup-720-VS.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Data_Center/DC_3_0/DC-3_0_IPInfra.html#wp1044715

HTH

Reza

I printed out a pdf on VSS.  Lots of good info.  We have VS-S720-10G sup engine on our 6509s and WS-X6748-GE-TX for the line cards.  I think we may be VSS ready but I will have to do more research.  Thanks again for the info Reza!

richrdumag wrote:

I printed out a pdf on VSS.  Lots of good info.  We have VS-S720-10G sup engine on our 6509s and WS-X6748-GE-TX for the line cards.  I think we may be VSS ready but I will have to do more research.  Thanks again for the info Reza!

Richard

If you only have 67xx modules in the chassis and with the supervisor you have you are indeed VSS ready. Obviously you need a different IOS version to be loaded onto your sup.

Jon

Reza,

If I configure a L3 ether-channel b/w 7200 and VSS, then what are the chances that traffic will flow through VSL?

In a dual switch model, each switch has its own L3 link to 7200.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card