cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Span a vlan across multiple Catalyst 6509's

marmour
Level 1
Level 1

I have created vlan 400 on one 6509 (I have 4 total), I need to access this vlan from all 4 6509's.  What is the easiest way to accomplish this.  The VLAN is up and operational and devices connected to that vlan on that device work.  What do I need to configure on the other 6509's so that they can access vlan 400?

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just configure the same vlan on the other 3 devices.  If you are using only one vlan (400) then you can keep the connection between the 6500s as an access port.  If you have multiple vlans that need to traverse the link between the switches then configure the links between the switches as trunk ports.  also, create an SVI on one of the switches and give it an IP address on the same segment as vlan 400.

HTH

Chad Peterson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There are a few ways of getting all 6500s to use this vlan:

1 - Run VTP and create a trunk between each 6500.  This way each 6500 will have the same vlan database

2 - If your not running VTP, you just need to create vlan 400 on all 6500, and create either trunk links that carry vlan 400 between them, or connect them via access links in vlan 400.

Once you do either one of those devices that reside in vlan 400 on any 6500 should be able to communicate with devices in vlan 400 on another 6500

Hope that helps

Chad

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card