Views
Helpful
Replies

SPAN Session - source VLAN

oguarisco
Level 3
Level 3

Dear all,

I was thinking to create a SPAN monitoring session on a switch to mirror the traffic of an single VLAN to avoid inserting more than 10 Phy interfaces as source interface.

Mirroring a single VLAN guarantees that all packets are in fact mirrored to a destination port or packet switched directly at the interface or Linecards level are not mirrored??? I would like to be sure that all packets are infact mirrored to a destination port.

Concerning the destionation port I was thinking to configure it in a dummy VLAN as access to avoid possible interaction with the VLAN I would like to mirror, is this scenario working or the destination port have to be on the same VLAN?

BR

Omar G.

1 Reply 1

makkarips
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Destination port can be in any VLAN or no vlan as VLAN on destination is neglected.

Destination port doesn't participate in any layer-2 protocol.

When you monitor a VLAN, all ports in that VLAN are monitored for Rx,Tx or both traffic.

For a span session, important condition is that source port can not be destination port.

So even if you put this destination in same VLAN, switch will ignore the VLAN and port is sent to monitoring state.

So you can ignore VLAN for destination port

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card