Views
Helpful
Replies

spanning-tree bpdufilter enable - macro

pawel.kmiec
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Could somebody tell me what acls are hidden behind macro - "spanning-tree bpdufilter enable" (Catalyst WS-C4948E, IOS ver cat4500e-entservices-mz.122-54.SG1.bin) 

I had some problems in my network because this macro didn't filter dst mac 01:80:c2:00:00:00 (spanning-tree-for-bridges)

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Pawel

2 Replies 2

Jose Jara
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Pawel,

it filters all the incoming and outgoing BPDU´s in the interface where you have applied this command. Can you please post the configuration and also the output of the command show spanning-tree <interface> detail ?

Thanks & Regards,

Jose.

Hello

Also depends on how you enable it and with what other stp feature.

if you have portfast enable then using the bpdufilterl command globally will disable portfast and alow stp to go through the listen/lering/forward state

Enbaled at interface level it will ignnore bpdu's coming form other switches which could cause a loop.

I have dug out some testing i did a while back on this - hope it is of use:

Bpdufilter
##########

spanning-tree portfast bpdufilter default (Global) -listening/learning/forwarding (rouge switch becomes root no filtering occurs)

spanning-tree bpdufilter enable (interface mode) -listening/learning/forwarding (rouge switch becomes root no filtering occurs)

spanning-tree portfast default
spanning-tree portfast bpdufilter default- jumps to forwarding from blocking (rouge switch becomes root no filtering occurs)

spanning-tree portfast bpdufilter default
spanning-tree portfast – (interface mode) -jumps to forwarding from blocking (rouge switch becomes root no filtering occurs)

spanning-tree portfast default
spanning-tree bpdufilter enable
– (interface mode) jumps to forwarding from blocking ( keeps root status – so looks like bpdu’s are filtered)

spanning-tree portfast – (interface mode)
spanning-tree bpdufilter enable– (interface mode) jumps to forwarding from blocking ( keeps root status – so looks like bpdu’s are filtered)

Bpdufilter (global or interface) = goes through stp process (no filtering occurs)
Bpdufilter (Global) + Portfast = jumps to forwarding from blocking (nO filtering occurs)
Bpdufilter (interface mode) + Portfast - jumps to forwarding from blocking (filtering occurs)

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card