cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SSH RSA Key Question

Dean Romanelli
Level 4
Level 4

So part of my standard rollout is to create an SSH key in each 2960 I deploy - crypto key generate rsa modulus 2048.

After I do this and check it with show crypto key mypubkey rsa, I see the 2048 key I created, but there is also a 512 and a 768 key under the mypubkey output as well. Even if I zeroize the key then recreate it, a 768 key reappears along with the 2048 key.

Why is that, and how can I be sure the 2048 key will be used when someone SSH's to the device and not the 512 or 768 key?

2 Replies 2

The default key will show up and also be regenerated when a crypto function is used without a dedicated key (but I've seen platform dependent differences). Just make sure that you always reference your own key. Here is a guide how to do that:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/security-documents/guide-to-better-ssh-security/ta-p/3133344

Karsten,

Let me ask you this: If I zeroize all rsa keys, then create a new 2048 bit rsa key as below:

crypto key zeroize rsa
crypto key gen rsa mod 2048 label dundermifflin
ip ssh rsa keypair-name dundermifflin

When I show crypto key mypubkey rsa, I see the 2048 key as "dundermifflin," and then I see a new auto generated 768 key ("temp key") as "dundermifflin.server."  You're saying as long as I reference "dundermifflin" and not "dundermifflin.server" in the ip ssh rsa keypair command, I can be sure the 2048 key will always be used when SSH'd to?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card