Announcements

Ask the Expert- SD-WAN

Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

Stack & Driver & Socket & Loopback

Recently, I heard those words several times(UDP Socket, IP Stack, IP/UDP Driver), but I don't really know what they mean. If you know these three terminologies, could you please explain to me as easily as possible?

I know that 127.0.0.1 == Loopback Address == Local Host. My understanding is that pining the loopback interface is to verity that TCP/IP software is installed, started, and working properly. Also, by pinging 127.0.0.1, I can perform the test without being connected to a physical line or network. But it seems like there are definitely more usages. Please let me know if you know when to use it other than cases I mentioned.

Lastly, is it true that in order to communicate between a sofrware and a PC, they use the loopback address? Why softwares just use my private ip address to communicate with my PC? What are the differences between my private ip address and loopback address?     

Everyone's tags (5)
1 REPLY 1
VIP Expert

Re: Stack & Driver & Socket & Loopback

Questions like these are probably better posted to Cisco Learn Network, https://learningnetwork.cisco.com.
CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad
July's Community Spotlight Awards