Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stack Compatibility Between CISCO 3750X AND CISCO 3750G

Hi Friends

We Have an exsisting stack switch, with 3750G . i Need to add new 12 Port SFP switch to the exsisting stack.

Exsisting stack switch  software and ios Image is psted below

Switch Ports Model              SW Version            SW Image

------ ----- -----              ----------            ----------

*    1 12    WS-C3750G-12S      12.2(52)SE            C3750-IPSERVICESK9-M

2 28    WS-C3750G-24TS-1U  12.2(52)SE            C3750-IPSERVICESK9-M

3 28    WS-C3750G-24TS-1U  12.2(52)SE            C3750-IPSERVICESK9-M

4 28    WS-C3750G-24TS-1U  12.2(52)SE            C3750-IPSERVICESK9-M

My New SFP Switch is 3750X-12 ports switch, i tried upgrading the new SFP Switch with the same image as in master.

But after upgrading when i boot from the upgraded image i am getting an  below error

Error:hardware not supported by firmware

Try loading newer software instead

System resetting....

My Doubts

Whether this Hardwares are compatible to add (Cisco 3750X & Cisco 3750G)

what is the least Ios requirement i needed in Cisco 3750X to add it to 3750G stack

I seen several forums telling that we need atleast 12.2(58) ios  and few stating 12.2(53) ios. Please confirm the correct hardware and software requirement

Thanks for youe help in Advance

Guys.

Regards

Safwan

18 Replies 18

Hi Safwan,

Answer1) First of all it is seen that your c3750X switch is the Master member and C3750 is the member. Now to let you know it depends upon where you are introducing your switch, i mean in the access or in wan edge layer. If you are using it as the access layer then your ipbase image is suffiecient to serve your purpose but if you are introducing this at the Wan edge and if you need BGP to configure at the switch then it will not take the command. So your license depends upon your requirement base how you are going to use this switch.

Answer2) Please be noted that licences are required for universal images and whereas C3750G  switches not support universal images so license is not required for C3750. Hence C3750G switch doesn't need any external licences and it will not create any problem.

Thanks, 

Hi Sanjay,

Thanks a lot for your Response.

Regarding Point 1) there was an Small correction , these new 3750X Is not goting to be a stack master, its going to be stack member. & current core C3750G-12S is The current stack master and it will continue to be.  And yes we are adding this to our Core switch(Edge layer) Connecting to Our ISP Routers which is running EIGRP.

I Did the reverse stack Also making C3750G as Stack master and 3750X as Member, It successfully joined the stack. And tried configruing Eigrp Too.. i am able to configure it

, so for 3750X to act as member in this corestack (C3750G Stack) and to run eigrp  Ipbase license is enough?

Hi Safwan,

As you are configuring the EIGRP, try using the commands in both switch after removing the stack and if all command supports seperately in both switches then your stack will not have any problem. Or you can try removing the Power cable on individual switch and check whether all your eigrp commands that is required is supporting on each switch. If yes then your stack will work without problem

Note: When you are using the 3750X with ipbase licence,then it can only be used as a Spoke Eigrp not as a hub.

Since EIGRP stub cannot acts as transit ,it only act as edge.

thanks,

Hi All,

I have successfully completed the upgrade, thanks for all their inputs.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card