cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stack Member numbering

ahmad82pkn
Level 2
Level 2

Hi , i have stack of 8 switches, i have made first switch stack master with priority 15.

then we just kept adding additional switches.

Problem occurred when one day , due to power issue complete stack was rebooted.

that caused member switches to change their numbering, like switch 2/0/1 become 4/0/1  like switch 2 and switch 4 changed its numbering.

how can i make sure these numbering to be static even after such reboot of complete stack?

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Use priority for all switches in the stack.  So, if the first switch's priority is 15, the second one could be 13 and the 3rd one 11 and so on.  This way the election will take place based on the priority when the stack reboots.

HTH

so what i understand keep master 15 and then  connect fresh out of box 1st member switch with stack cables and give it priority lets say 13 and second member switch give it priority 11.

or you suggest take console of first member assign it priority 13 and then bring it into stack? or eitherway can be done?

secondly if 1st member switch remain down for few days due to power issue (it has gi2/×) interface and second member is fine that has gi3/x interface id, will second member retain its interface id to gi3/x ? and once first member is back online it will regain its numbering that is gi2/x ?

please guide.

any suggestions ?

To keep the stack in order, you have to give each switch a priority. 

Master - 15

member - 13

member - 11

member - 9

member - 7

etc etc

you don't have to go in increments of 2. You can go 15, 14, 13, 12, 11 etc if you wanted to. but in order to maintain the stack in a specified order you should number them the way you want them. The easiest way to correct the stack out of order without physically moving them after assigning a priority is assign them a different switch # passed what you exceed. restart the stack, and then renumber them how you want them, assign the priorities correctly, and then restart again.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card