Views
Helpful
Replies

Stack of WS-C3850-12XS-S & WS-C3850-48P-S

Surjeet Singh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can we stack between WS-C3850-12XS-S & WS-C3850-48P-S ?

I am trying to make them stack i have same IOS version on both of them and have done Stack config but unfortunately every time when they come up they are not stacked with each other but they are stacked to individual.

when I check the output of sh switch stack-ports, I can see stack ports are always down/down. I have tried by replacing the cable as well.

Regards,
Surjeet Singh
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Surjeet Singh
Level 1
Level 1
Sorry for updating late, Issue was with the hardware which was resolved after getting RMA.

Regards/Surjeet
Regards,
Surjeet Singh

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Stacking between these models should work. Do both switches have the same exact IOS and license level installed?

Hi,

Yes, They both have same IOS and license. 

Do you have any idea why stack ports remain down/down on both the switch ? Also do have document and real exam that we can make stack for these two different model switches ?

Regards,

Surjeet

Regards,
Surjeet Singh

Hi,

I don't have any spesific document stating about these spesific switches but usually you can mix different models of 3750s. Usually when the stack ports remain down, there is something wrong with the stacking cable or the stacking port. Try provisioning the second switch and than add it to the stack.

HTH

Hi,

I have tried with that also but the main problem is that their stack ports are not coming up. second thing i have tried by replacing the cable as but no luck.

also just to update you the this issue is with two pair of stack switch so i don't think both pair have port issue.

here is the output of stack port :

SW01#sh switch stack-ports summary

Sw#/Port# Port Status Neighbor Cable Length Link OK Link Active Sync OK #Changes to LinkOK In Loopback
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1/1 DOWN NONE No cable No No Yes 0 Yes
1/2 DOWN NONE No cable No No Yes 0 Yes

Config : 

SW01#sh run | in pro
switch 1 provision ws-c3850-12xs
switch 2 provision ws-c3850-48p

SW01#sh ver | in 3850

Model Number :  * 1 16 WS-C3850-12XS 03.07.03E cat3k_caa-universalk9 INSTALL

Regards,
Surjeet Singh

Hi,

also just to update you the this issue is with two pair of stack switch so i don't think both pair have port issue.

Yes, you are correct.

Is the other switch (WS-C3850-48P-S) configured in "INSTALL" mode as well?

This may not be an issue, but I am just trying to make sure both switches are installed the same way.

HTH

Hi,

Yes, Both are in install mode and having same IOS version code.

Do you think, issue can be to enable stack Ports on both the switches to get the stack connection up ?

I have enable the stack port on one switch, but will try to enable the stack port at other switch.

Regards,

Surjeet

Regards,
Surjeet Singh

Hi,

Usually there is no need to do that and stacking works, but you may want to try it anyway. If they are under warranty you also may want to open a ticket with TAC.

It could also be that WS-C3850-12XS-S is not stack-able with other models but not documented.

HTH

Hi, 

That may be true "It could also be that WS-C3850-12XS-S is not stack-able with other models but not documented."

Regards/Surjeet

Regards,
Surjeet Singh

Are there any log messages if you have both powered up, and you connect the stack cables?  This might suggest if there is an incompatability.

Also, are you sure the stack cables are fully seated?

Silly question - it IS the data stacking cables you are using, and not the power stacking ones ?

Surjeet Singh
Level 1
Level 1
Sorry for updating late, Issue was with the hardware which was resolved after getting RMA.

Regards/Surjeet
Regards,
Surjeet Singh
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card