cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stack Power Group WS-C3750X-12S-E with WS-C3750X-48P-E

Chris Gill
Level 1
Level 1

So we have a couple network uplifts this year where the core will be two WS-C3750X-12S-E (350w powre supply) stacked with two WS-C3750X-48P-E (715w Power Supply) for a single four switch stack.

My question is can this be setup as a singe Stack Power group so that the 715w supplies in the WS-C3750X-48P-E can be used as backups for the 350w supplies in the fiber WS-C3750X-12S-E?  If not I will have to set the WS-C3750X-12S-E as their own stack power group and the other switches as their own.

We will also have a spare power supply in one of the WS-C3750X-48P-E for a total of 5 power supplies for the stack.

3 Replies 3

Are you going to uses some kind of PoE devices? If yes, I think the best would be have the 350w on.

There will be Cisco phones and 5 APs so the PoE portion I am not too worried about since there will be 3 Power supplies in the 2 WS-C3750X-48P-E.  Our first install of the 3750x series was a stack of 4 WS-C3750X-48P-E and we were able to run the stack and over 100 VoIP 7942 phones and 4 APs on one single 1100w power supply.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

My question is can this be setup as a singe Stack Power group so that the 715w supplies in the WS-C3750X-48P-E can be used as backups for the 350w supplies in the fiber WS-C3750X-12S-E?

It depends on whether you'll have enough excess power in the stack to make up for the power loss if a 350W PS fails (don't forget the converse, i.e. if a 715W PS fails) and whether you would exceed the power that the StackPower cables permit (2000W).  Regarding making up power, you do have the option to prioritize power usage, i.e. "automatically" shut power to lower priority devices, to maintain power for your critical usage.

Ideally you want to minimize the need for power to cross the StackPower, either normally, or if there's a PS failure.  This is accomplished by how you place (power balance) your PSs in the stack.  For example, if your 5th PS is another 715W, and your PoE usage isn't real high on either PoE switch, you might move one of the 315W PSs to the other 12S or one of the 48Ps and place the "extra" 715W in the 12S where you removed the 315W.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: