cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stacked Switch having no slave only one memeber which is master. Is it Possible ?

Hello Everyone !!

I discovered few stacked Switches in a network and We have master & slave for it. But for few I don't see any

Slave only one member which is marked as Master and it has no slave. So my query is Is this even possible having no slave for master ?

Or whatever I am discovering on network is not correct. this is mainly for Cisco Stacked switch.

Please clarify if anyone knows more about this having single member as master for Stacked Switch.

Thanks,

Vaibhav

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

The switch which has won the stack mater election will be marked as Master when running the sh switch command. This is true even when you have a standalone switch.

It would be stranger if the single switch was marked slave/ member !

cheers,

Seb.

View solution in original post

Hello

FYI - When any stackable switch boots up it will go through an stack election process and within thiis period if it doesnt see any other switch in this election then itself will become a standalone switch and a master of itself.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

The switch which has won the stack mater election will be marked as Master when running the sh switch command. This is true even when you have a standalone switch.

It would be stranger if the single switch was marked slave/ member !

cheers,

Seb.

Hi Seb,

I did not understand what exactly you meant Can you please explain in few more words. It would be really helpful.

Have a read of this document describing the election process:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/3se/ha_stack_manager/configuration_guide/b_hastck_3se_3850_cg/b_hastck_3se_3850_cg_chapter_010.html#con_1228109

...this whole process takes place even on a standalone switch. In the absence of competing switches in a stack, the standalone switch will always become master.

cheers,

Seb.

Okay Got you Seb, But what could be the reason for absence of switch in Stacked Switch ?

Not sure I completely understand your question. Possible reason for a switch stack of one could be:

* A standalone switch

* A switch perceived to be in a stack but with faulty stacking cables, such that it can't detect other stack members.

Hello

FYI - When any stackable switch boots up it will go through an stack election process and within thiis period if it doesnt see any other switch in this election then itself will become a standalone switch and a master of itself.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello Seb/Paul !!

I discovered few stacked Switches in a network and We have master & slave for it. But for few I don't see any

Slave only one member which is marked as Master and it has no slave. So my query is Is this even possible having no slave for master ?

Or whatever I am discovering on network is not correct. this is mainly for Cisco Stacked switch.
It should be like
Master: Hostname
Slave:Hostname-serial number

Please clarify if anyone knows more about this having single member as master for Stacked Switch.

Thanks,

Vaibhav

Hi Vaibhav,

As both @paul driver and I have pointed out, it is expected behaviour for a stackable switch to report itself as master even in the absence of other switches.

To better understand your scenarios it would be useful for you to share the output of sh switch and also a description of the stacking cable setup and adjacent stackable switches.

cheers,

Seb.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card