cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stacking a 9300 switch to another running 9300?

Mike Dang
Level 1
Level 1

Hello forum,

I ran out of port on the current 9300 and would like to stack another 9300.  Is it possible to stack without taking the operational 9300 down?

Thanks,

MD

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Follow the simple rules: 

1. All stack members need to be loaded with the same firmware; 
  2. All stack members must have the same license level (Essentials or Advantage and not both); 
  3. Make sure the new switch member is POWERED DOWN FIRST before connecting the stacking cables

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leonid Voronkin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Follow the simple rules: 

1. All stack members need to be loaded with the same firmware; 
  2. All stack members must have the same license level (Essentials or Advantage and not both); 
  3. Make sure the new switch member is POWERED DOWN FIRST before connecting the stacking cables

Thanks Leo.

The new member is offline right now.  Both switches are running the same firmware.  So, I can stack the new switch to the existing one without shutting down the existing one first?  And no reboot required on existing one after either, right?  I'm asking these questions because we're required to submit outage request.

Thanks,

MD

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Based on my experience with replacing switch stack members, no outage is required if one follows the basic rule I've replied -- Particularly rule #3.  
Failure to power down the new stack member and the stack will reload when the stacking cable is attached.  Guaranteed.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card