Replies

Stacking Different 3750 Models

brianchernicoff
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 3750 switches:

1. 3750G-48PS

2. 3750E-48PD

How do I determine which IOS should be installed so that I can complete the stack? Right now they're stacked but I'm getting a version mismatch.

The 3750E is the master and has the following IOS:     c3750e-ipbasek9-mz.122-58.bin

The 3750G is the slave with an older IOS.

17 Replies 17

suelange
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to know the answer to this as well.  I have 3750G's running adpipservicesk9M and 3750E's running universalK9.  I can't put IPBASE on these, I need the advanced services set for PBR and other things I'm using the stack for.

which IOS's will make it possible to put 3750G's and E's in same stack?

icewolf101
Level 1
Level 1

As far as I am aware, each switch in the stack needs to have identical IOS release's. If c3750g-ipbasek9-mz.122-58.bin exists, use that.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The      Author of this posting offers the information contained within this      posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding   that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any    purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only  and   should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any  kind.   Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own  risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In      no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever    (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or    profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's    information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of   such  damage.

Posting

Insure version/release number match.  If using 12.2(58) on the 3750E, load same (version/release not actual IOS) on 3750G.  (NB: I didn't check whether that version is available for 3750G.)

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

this image is for 3750 and 3750G

c3750-ipbasek9-mz.122-58.SE1.bin

This image for 3750E

c3750e-ipbasek9-mz.122-55.SE1.bin

Both images are 12.2 (58), but make sure you load the c3750e in your 3750-E.

Before you load an image make sure to read the release noted for caveats fixes, features and bugs for it.

We have seen several posts here dealing with 12.2(58) issues. So, to be safe, I would load an earlier version i.e. 12.2(55).

latest does not always mean better.

before you stack go over this document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750e_3560e/software/release/12.2_50_se/configuration/guide/swstack.html#wp1142379

HTH

Reza.

Hey Reza I'm a little confused about your post. You said both images are 12.2(58), but the versions you listed are:

this image is for 3750 and 3750G

c3750-ipbasek9-mz.122-58.SE1.bin

This image for 3750E

c3750e-ipbasek9-mz.122-55.SE1.bin

One is a 55, and one is a 58?

Sorry Brian,

I meant 12.2(58) for both

c3750e-ipbasek9-mz.122-58.SE1.bin

Reza

Thanks Reza, but I'm concerned about this:

"

Before you load an image make sure to read the release noted for caveats fixes, features and bugs for it.

We have seen several posts here dealing with 12.2(58) issues. So, to be safe, I would load an earlier version i.e. 12.2(55).

latest does not always mean better.

"

So I downloaded the following:

For the 3750G - c3750-ipbasek9-mz.122-55.SE1.bin

For the 3750E - c3750e-ipbasek9-mz.122-55.EY.bin

What do you think?

this is an interesting post, but somewhat disconceting.  I need the advanced IP IOS for the 3750G's.  Why is there not a simliar version of IOS feature set for the E's?  UNiversal on the E definately does not work with the AdvancedIPK on the 3750G's, already tried that.

Any hope or was it a mistake to go with the G's?  I've also contacted my sales rep and local cisco CE but they are all at networkers... :-(

There is no more advance IP Services.  The equivalent to it is now IP Services (see image below).

c3750-ipservicesk9-mz.122-58.SE1.bin

I know, it is very confusing with different hardware models, IOS images, license installation, etc...

Brian,

I would test any image in the lab for a period of time before putting it in production. If you have a couple spare switches try 12.2(58) and see if you have any issues.  It all depends on the features set you use.  It may work just fine for you. Also, read the release notes and see what bugs/issues have been resolved. 

HTH

Yeah I'm in a test environment, I'll boot from those I mentioned and see what happens. Thanks again for all your assistance.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Before you do anything, particularly loading IOS above 12.2(55)SE to a 3750/3750G switch make sure you have enough flash memory available.

If your switch is the earlier models it will only have 16 Mb of flash and this will not have the capacity to load even the BIN file because the BIN file alone is >16 Mb size.  The highest you can go is 12.2(55)SE1.

brianchernicoff
Level 1
Level 1

I was able to complete the stack, no version mismatch with the following IOS versions:

SW1 is the E series

SW2 is the G series

• Brian, thanks for posting this.  Also thanks to Raza for the clarification on the software trains.  I am going to try IPBASE in the lab and see if this solves my issues with stacking while still allowing me to run what I need to run....
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card