Views
Helpful
Replies

Stacking

kyisoethin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi 

I have heard that stacking give switches redundancy.

My question is  how does it give redundancy?What kind of redundancy?

Please answer my question

Thank

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have heard that stacking give switches redundancy.

Please answer my question

Please take the time to read this: Cisco StackWise and StackWise Plus Technology

visitor68
Level 4
Level 4

Stacking allows the switches in the stack to be managed as 1 switch, with one merged control plane and one mgmt. IP address. Stacks don't 'provide redundancy,' they are said to be resilient in the event that a failure occurs on one switch. In such a case, the traffic will be routed around the failure to make sure that the rest of the stack remains intact. 

That having been said, IMHO, stacking provides little value and can oftentimes be a detriment in your network, except perhaps in a campus closet. Regardless of the so-called resilience that is built into the stack, I have seen it become a single point of failure on so many occasions across multiple vendor platforms. Personally, I avoid stacking. 

Thank you for your answer.

I want to discuss a little.

Stacking give management of switches to be easy.

And I think by doing this,there will be no STP and so it make network bandwidth usage efficient.

So stacking is useful.

Is my opinion right?

Please share your opinion.

Thank.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Stacks often provide redundancy similar to chassis switches that provide redundancy.

For example, a 4507R (the R being for redundancy), supports two supervisors.  A stack of two (or more) stack members, generally any stack member can run the stack.

A 4507R supports two power supplies.  Often a stack supports multiple power modules so loss of one does not take down any, or more than one, stack member.

A 4507R supports multiple line cards, which supports Etherchannel across them. Many stacks support Etherchannel across multiple stack members.

A 4507R supports routed ports from different line cards.  Many L3 stacks support routed ports across different stack members.

A 4507R is managed and configured as one device.  A stack is generally managed and configured as one device.

Often a stack supports some higher bandwidth connections between stack members, but it may not offer as much bandwidth as a chassis fabric nor does it operate like a fabric.

Basically, operationally a chassis or stack can be used or configured alike.

Visitor68 notes stacks don't provide redundancy, but as they provide redundancy like some "redundancy" chassis switches, I would assume Visitor68 doesn't consider those providing redundancy either.  (I would be curious what Visitor68 actually considers redundancy is.  Personally, I consider redundancy when you have hardware that's only really needed to keep the network running when other hardware fails.)

Visitor68 also notes stacks have little value, but my experience, both with stacks and chassis switches that support redundancy, they've kept a network running that without their redundancy would have failed.  However, stacks and chassis redundancy aren't the only ways to provide network redundancy, often multiple devices can be used, but Etherchannel is often a nice option of stacks, single chassis, or VSS pairs.  (The latter, VSS, is "stack" of two large chassis switches.)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card