Views
Helpful
Replies

StackWise Virtual and ISSU Questions

Ex-Engineer1968
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, folks.

Cisco's constantly changing marketing terms for its technology can be a veritable nightmare to manage. I dont understand why Cisco technical marketing folks dont understand this.

Anyway, I have a few of questions that I hope someone can please answer for me. 

StackWise Virtual

AFAIK, StackWise Virtual is the successor to Cisco's VSS. VSS was a sort of stacking technology that was used ONLY on the 6500 series switches. It took two chassis-based switches and created a single logical entity. That differed from normal stacking found on fixed configuration switches. I'll pass on going into the differences for now. 

1. So, is it still the case that StackWise Virtual is ONLY a chassis-based technology (Although I know that the 3850 used to support it, which is weird because its a fixed config switch)?

2. Is it true that StackWise virtual DOES NOT support DUAL SUPs in EACH chassis? I need this 100% verified with no doubts before I go to my client. I did research it greatly on Cisco.com, BUT I read a couple of docs that seem to contradict each other.

ISSU

3. As for ISSU, is it ONLY an HA technology for chassis-based switches? It seems like it would be only for chassis-bases/SUP-based switches because to upgrade code on any switch, you would have to reboot/reload it -- so how could it be ISSU? 

4. And MUST you have DUAL SUPs in EACH of the chassis to do ISSU, or can a switch chassis have a SINGLE SUP and still support ISSU - meaning, the SUP is having its code upgraded while the chassis continue to forward all traffic (maybe the answer is Yes because of CEF)?

THANK YOU

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

1. So, is it still the case that StackWise Virtual is ONLY a chassis-based technology (though I know that the 3850 used to support it, which is weird because its a fixed configuration switch)?

That is correct. It is a chassis-based technology, and only 2 chassis can be part of a StackWise Virtual domain.

2. Is it true that StackWise virtual DOES NOT support DUAL SUPs in EACH chassis? I need this 100% verified with no doubts before I go to my client. I did research it greatly on Cisco.com, BUT I read a couple of docs that seem to contradict each other.

Cisco has been going back and forth with these for many years now. They started the same thing with the 6500 and 6700 series VSS with dual sup, but it really never worked the way it should because when one sup goes down in a chassis, the whole chassis goes out. So, what is really the purpose of having 2 sups per chassis? So. I am not 100% sure if they finally gave up on 2 sups per chassis or not, but I would never use 2 sups per chassis anyways, as I think it is a waste of money. Both VSS and StackWise Virtual work fine with one sup in each chassis.

4. And MUST you have DUAL SUPs in EACH of the chassis to do ISSU, or can a switch chassis have a SINGLE SUP and still support ISSU—meaning, the SUP is having its code upgraded while the chassis continues to forward all traffic (maybe the answer is yes because of CEF)?

No, you don't have to have 2 sups per chassis to do ISSU. ISSU can be used with one sup in each chassis. 

The basic concept is to reload one chassis at a time with no downtime, but ISSU does not always work flowlessly and has its own limitations.

HTH

Thx, Reza. 

On question 4, let's say I only have 1 chassis... a standalone 9410R chassis with 1 SUP... can I do ISSU?

Also, would you happen to know the answer to question 3?

Thanks again for your detailed answers. You did much better than Cisco TAC - way better! 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card