Views
Helpful
Replies

Starting from scratch a new switched-based network

gabonescu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everybody,

I'm writing this new "conversation" because I'm in a "delicate" situation and I need some help.

Delicate because time is always an issue, network installation has to be done and if I would not doit noew it will be very difficult to doit some other time. I'm trying to be short.

This is the actual situation: I have an medium network (about 500 workstation/printers/switches) in 3 different locations (400/80/20). It's a flat netwotk without any kind of routing devices (2 locations are connected with the first one by LAN extensions-FO connection). The IP range is a big one 172.16.0.0/24.

Until now it was a mixture between hubs, some switches but nothing managed and without any logic.

I decided to buy, for the beginning, a main switch (Cisco 4503) and for the future some 2950 for 7 distant racks. The connection is FO-trunk.All the servers will be connected to this main switch

The main question that I have is quite simple but very complicated: how I configure this 4503? Doi I need to implement VLANs? How about STP? All the servers have 2 NIcs in a team-fault adapter. Do I need to create some port-team on the 4503 for fault tolerance?

What is the best way to design a network like this?All the switches in the same VLAN? The same with all the servers?

I really apreciate all your sugestions!

Thank you very much,

Gabriel

1 Reply 1

ehirsel
Level 6
Level 6

If possible, since the 4500 can act as a layer 3 switch, I would try to use it as the layer 3 between all three sites, assuming that you can terminate the links on that switch as well as leaving enough room for all the servers.

If you cannot do layer 3 routing then vlans are a moot point since there is no routing device to connect the vlans together. So try to use routing if possible.

As far as STP is concerned, regardless of whether routing is present or not, for all endstation connections - and servers are considered endstations from the network point of view - you can use the portfast keyword on switch port connections to enable the port to go into forwarding mode right away. Only if BPDU frames are seen will the normal span tree protocol go into effect.

As far as fault-tolerance is concerned, consider using etherchannel on the switch; however your servers will need to be configured accordingly. What etherchannel brings is that the multiple ports participating in it are seen a one logical port by STP, thus a failure of one will not cause STP recalcs. Also, if there is more than one phy link direct between one site and another (say site 1 and site2), then you can use etherchannel on the switches at those sites to bundle them into one logical STP port.

The issues that I see with one flat network are these:

1. All stations are in the same mgmt vlan as the switches which most likely degrade the overall network impact during a broadcast strorm so much that there won't be anyway to determine the cause without a lot of guesswork.

2. Future growth patterns can be haphazard enough to the point where you are forced to use layer3. Planning for it now will address a these and other concerns later on.

Let me know if I can help any further.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card