Views
Helpful
Replies

Static nat over static routes

Marcus.Jansson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to apply some static nat (1:1 nat) to a Cisco 1811 to translate private addresses to the public IPs I have been given by my service provider. The problem that I have is that the "inside nat"-interface is not part of the private subnet that I want to translate.

To give you an idea of the network setup;

Drawing.png

What I want to achieve is to translate (static nat) my 10.10.10.0/29 address range into the 192.168.1.0/24 range but I'm not sure that the 1811 (on the left) will see the 192.168.1.0/29 range as the source? If it doesn't, how do I go about to achieve what I want?

Thanks Marcus

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Marcus

It's not clear exactly what you are trying to NAT. You talk about translating public to private but then talk about translating 10.x.x.x to 192.168.x.x which are both private. Is this simply because you didn't want to post the public IP details ?

If i understand correctly you are asking if the network you want to translate from actually has to the the network connected to the interface with the "ip nat inside" configured ?

If this is what you are asking then no, it doesn't haven't to be. It can be anywhere in your network configured on any device as long as it routed to the interface with the "ip nat inside" configured on it.

Obviously, the router with the "ip nat inside" configured on it has to have a route to get to the actual network you are translating, and the network you are translating has to be able to route to the "ip nat inside" interface.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Marcus

It's not clear exactly what you are trying to NAT. You talk about translating public to private but then talk about translating 10.x.x.x to 192.168.x.x which are both private. Is this simply because you didn't want to post the public IP details ?

If i understand correctly you are asking if the network you want to translate from actually has to the the network connected to the interface with the "ip nat inside" configured ?

If this is what you are asking then no, it doesn't haven't to be. It can be anywhere in your network configured on any device as long as it routed to the interface with the "ip nat inside" configured on it.

Obviously, the router with the "ip nat inside" configured on it has to have a route to get to the actual network you are translating, and the network you are translating has to be able to route to the "ip nat inside" interface.

Jon

Hi Jon,

My mistake! Yes I'm talking about translating the 10.10.10.0/29 to the 192.168.1.0/24 at the 1811 on the left-side of the diagram.

I'm using static routes to get from 192.168.1.0/24 to 10.10.10.0/29 so that shouldn't be an issue!

Thanks for your quick reply!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card