cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Forcing traffic through 2 routed ports on 1 switch

kenlorenzo
Level 1
Level 1

hi guys, thanks in advanced for reading this - hope someone could help.

1) I am using a Riverbed device and our usual setup is that it goes between a switch and a WAN router

**  Switch --- Rbed --- WAN router --- CLOUD

WAN router WAN interface: 10.10.10.1

WAN router LAN interface: 192.168.1.1

Client's default gateway: 192.168.1.1 (WAN router LAN interface)

that way, all client traffic are forced to go through the Riverbed. The default gateway of all clients is the WAN router, the Riverbed kinda just intercepts traffic as it flows through it.

2) Now, I have a site where I'm using a 3560 with switch port enabled.

Basically, I don't have a WAN router anymore and 1 interface of the switch is configured as Routed port. so now this is what I have:

** Switch --- CLOUD

Switch Layer 3 interface (fa0/1 routed port): 10.10.10.1

Switch SVI interface (Vlan 100): 192.168.1.1

Client's default gateway: 192.168.1.1 (SVI Interface)

Now, I wanted to insert a Riverbed in between there somewhere so traffic are forced to flow through the Riverbed before going to 10.10.10.1.. I'm stumped because I know the traffic routing occurs internally and not over the "physical wire" which means it'll just bypass the Riverbed device. How do I force routing to go through the "wire". If I can do this, i can setup two Routed ports:

fa0/1 routed port: 10.10.10.1

fa0/2 routed port: 192.168.1.1

and force all routing over the wire to go from fa0/1 to fa0/2 as opposed to being routed internally. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks guys!

2 Replies 2

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

There is no way of doing this in the corrent topology.

One solution I can think of without adding any more equipment is change the topology.

Instead of the Riverbed being transparent, make it routable and use Policy Based Routing.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk364/technologies_configuration_example09186a00802135d3.shtml

HTH>

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

hi guys, thanks in advanced for reading this - hope someone could help.

1) I am using a Riverbed device and our usual setup is that it goes between a switch and a WAN router

**  Switch --- Rbed --- WAN router --- CLOUD

WAN router WAN interface: 10.10.10.1

WAN router LAN interface: 192.168.1.1

Client's default gateway: 192.168.1.1 (WAN router LAN interface)

that way, all client traffic are forced to go through the Riverbed. The default gateway of all clients is the WAN router, the Riverbed kinda just intercepts traffic as it flows through it.

2) Now, I have a site where I'm using a 3560 with switch port enabled.

Basically, I don't have a WAN router anymore and 1 interface of the switch is configured as Routed port. so now this is what I have:

** Switch --- CLOUD

Switch Layer 3 interface (fa0/1 routed port): 10.10.10.1

Switch SVI interface (Vlan 100): 192.168.1.1

Client's default gateway: 192.168.1.1 (SVI Interface)

Now, I wanted to insert a Riverbed in between there somewhere so traffic are forced to flow through the Riverbed before going to 10.10.10.1.. I'm stumped because I know the traffic routing occurs internally and not over the "physical wire" which means it'll just bypass the Riverbed device. How do I force routing to go through the "wire". If I can do this, i can setup two Routed ports:

fa0/1 routed port: 10.10.10.1

fa0/2 routed port: 192.168.1.1

and force all routing over the wire to go from fa0/1 to fa0/2 as opposed to being routed internally. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks guys!

Hi,

See as suggested one way is to make riverbed as routable device to make use of it,create two vlan one for host and connect on leg of riverbed in that vlan and configure client gateway as riverbed of that vlan and configure another port of riverbed with l3 switch vlan which is not routable just a point to point subnet making default route towards that l3 port ip address and from l3 drop a default route towards cloud.

Another is use the riverbed between switch and cloud ...

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card