Views
Helpful
Replies

Static routing based on physical ports

cwgt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there

We're trying to set up a "simple" network using two switches, isolating the traffic to a some of the ports on each switch. I've got two pairs of copper/fiber ports on an SG300 (with each pair of ports in access mode tied to a specific vlan). The fiber ports then run over to a SG350, where I want all the traffic on one fiber port to go 4 of the copper ports (again, I put each of these ports in access mode and tied them to a specific vlan).

In ascii art:

|SG300|                 | SG350|

copper1 ----|P1 P2|---- fiber1 ---- |P9  P1|---- device1

|     |                 |    P2|---- device2

|     |                 |      |

copper2 ----|P3 P4|---- fiber2 ---- |P10 P5|---- device3

|     |                 |    P6|---- device4

(what I'd like is that traffic on copper 1 only goes to devices 1 and 2, while traffic on copper 2 only goes to devices 3 and 4. I also want to make sure that traffic from copper 1 is going over fiber 1, and copper 2 is over fiber 2 due to bandwidth concerns)

If I only have one of the fiber lines connected, everything seems to work fine (I can see only the devices on one of the vlans on the SG350 when looking on the copper port of the SG300), but as soon as I plug in both fiber lines, only devices on one of the VLANs can be found (the other copper port doesn't seem to go anywhere).

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong/what I should actually be doing? (I'm not a network person by training)

Thanks

Chris

2 Replies 2

acbabitzke
Level 1
Level 1

Chris,

Just want to make sure I've got this straight. Is this what you are attempting to do?

|SG300|
|--------------------------------------------------------
|Port | Status       |  VLAN-ID |  VLAN port mode |  Connection     |
|-----|--------------------------------------------------
|P1-C | Active     |    10      |        Access           |    Node1            |
|P2-F | Active      |    10      |        Access           |  SG350 P9-F    |
|P3-C | Active     |    20      |        Access           |    Node2           |
|P4-F | Active      |    20      |        Access           |  SG350 P10-F |
| P5    | Inactive   |              |                              |                         |
| P6    | Inactive   |              |                              |                         |
| P7    | Inactive   |              |                              |                         |
| P8    | Inactive   |              |                              |                         |
| P9    | Inactive   |              |                              |                         |
| P10  | Inactive   |              |                              |                         |
---------------------------------------------------------

|SG350|
|---------------------------------------------------------
|Port     | Status     |  VLAN-ID |  VLAN port mode |   Connection   |
|------|--------------------------------------------------
| P1-C  | Active     |    10        |    Access             |      Device 1     |
| P2-C  | Active     |    10        |    Access             |      Device 2     |
| P3      | Inactive   |                |                            |                         |
| P4      | Inactive   |                |                            |                         |
| P5-C  | Active     |    20        |    Access             |       Device 3     |
| P6-C  | Active     |    20        |    Access             |       Device 4     |
| P7      | Inactive   |                |                            |                         |
| P8      | Inactive   |                |                            |                         |
|P9-F   | Active      |    10        |   Access             |  SG300 P2-F    |
|P10-F| Active       |    20        |   Access             |  SG300 P4-F    |
---------------------------------------------------------

Not sure why you are not seeing the nodes that are on the VLAN for the second fiber link, if you have the config similar to above you should.   What are the VLANs set to on your copper ports?

Yup, that's pretty much exactly the configuration I have.

The thing that really confuses me is that:

When I have fiber from P2-F <-> P9-F and P4-F <-> P10-F

A computer on Node 1 can only see devices 1 and 2.

A computer on Node 2 can not see any devices.

When I have only a single fiber connection from P4-F <-> P10-F

A computer on Node 1 can not see any devices (obviously)

A computer on Node 2 can see devices 3 and 4.

I've also tried swapping out the fiber modules for copper ones, and I still see the same behaviour, so it seems like it's a configuration error, not a hardware one.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card