Views
Helpful
Replies

STP Root Bridge is pointing at FWSM

david.mitchell
Level 1
Level 1

Good afternoon all,

I have two 6509s both with single FWSMs running in transparent mode with bridged Inside and Outside VLANs.

I have my Core A set to STP priority of 8192 and Core B set to 16,384 to make Core A the root for all VLANs.

Problem I have is when I look at spanning-tree on Core A for Inside VLAN 324 it states to get to the Root go via PO100 (Cost of 9) and that the Root also has a Priority of 8192, but as the designated Root has a lower MAC address it's pointing to the etherchannel. PO100 is L2 Etherchannel between the Cores.

Moving accross PO100 to Core B and running the show spanning-tree command I can see that to get to the Root Bridge I need to go via PO272.  PO272 is the internal Etherchannel to get to the FWSM on the Core B Switch.  This shows a cost of 6 to get to the Root and a mac address of the Root Bridge which resides on Core A (Outside VLAN 124)

To give some perspectibe,theoutside VLAN of the pair has it's STP ROOT on the Core A switch as intended

Any help would be much appreciated

David

1 Reply 1

Hello David,

Can you try specifying the stp root via the primary/secondary commands - spanning-tree vlan xxx root primary/secondary. instead of specifying the priority value, this will decrease its own priority value if another switch challange's for stp root with it present priority vlaue.

Also you could  apply  spanning-tree rootguardto protect your root switch designated ports becoming root ports towards a new stp root switch

To influence a directly connected downstream switch from the root to elect its stp root port use  - spanning-tree vlan x port-priority x ( highest value less preferred)

To influence a local switch towards the root to elect its stp root port use   - spanning-tree vlan x cost y  ( highest value less preferred)

Welcome any other CSCr's to jump in here and correct me if i am wrong?

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate this post if it has been helpful.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card