Views
Helpful
Replies

Strange 10GB behavior on 2960-X switches

Michael Muenz
Level 5
Level 5

Hey guys,

in the last weeks I got two strange problems with 10GB ports on different 2960-X switches.

Problem 1: 

Switch Ports Model                     SW Version            SW Image
------ ----- -----                     ----------            ----------
*    1 52    WS-C2960X-48TD-L          15.2(3)E1             C2960X-UNIVERSALK9-M

I connected the two 10G Ports with a QSFP-4SFP10G cable. When I plug in the twinax both tranceivers were detected correctly. On the other side I had a Mellanox SX1012 and configured a LACP channel. On the Catalyst only Port 2 had a link and nothing on Port 1. So I switched the cables/twinax gbics and after that again only Port 2 was up. So this has to be fixed on the Catalyst side. After some testing I just rebooted the switch and Port 1 had a link???

Problem 2:

Switch Ports Model                     SW Version            SW Image                 
------ ----- -----                     ----------            ----------               
*    1 52    WS-C2960X-48TD-L          15.2(2)E              C2960X-UNIVERSALK9-M     

Port 2 has a SFP-10G-SR GBIC inserted and is an uplink to a cheap Netgear 10G switch (don't blame me, customer insisted). After 2 months the systems on the Netgear were gone! I checked the link and GBIC, everything was fine. There were hitcounts on "sh int te1/0/2", GBIC detected and port type connected. The customer replaced the Netgear with a new one, same thing, bought a D-Link 10G switch, same thing.
Reboot on Catalyst and with all switches the uplink runs properly??? 

I checked the resolved caveats for all following images, nothing found regarding 10G.

Anyone observed similiar issues?

Thanks!

Michael Please rate all helpful posts
2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I checked the resolved caveats for all following images, nothing found regarding 10G.

Talk to your Cisco SE/AM and ask them about the INTERNAL bugs involving 10 Gbps and 2960X.  

The only "bugs" I've heard affected only the "EX" IOS in earlier IOS version but this was 2 years ago.  One way of determining if you're hitting these bugs is to download the IOS of the 2960X to EX3 and observe.

Had a talk to my SE and he confirmed there are no internal bugs. 

I'll try to reproduce this again ... 

Michael Please rate all helpful posts
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card