Views
Helpful
Replies

Strange issue maybe

Steven Williams
Level 4
Level 4

I have a printer > 192.168.12.23 255.255.252.0

Belongs to a subnet of 192.168.12.0/22 this is vlan 3 and has a default gateway of 192.168.12.1

I physically moved this printer to another place in the building and plugged it into a port on an edge switch. This port belongs to vlan 5 which has a subnet of 192.168.20.0/22

So I shouldn't be able to ping 192.168.12.23 from a machine on vlan 4 with an address of 192.168.19.138/22.....??

Or should I?

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If there is no access-list to block inter-vlan communication, you should not have any problem pinging between devices.

HTH

Hello Steve,

I think you won't be unless you change that port to to vlan3. Also couple of things you need to ensure more.

1. Ensure that you have vlan 3 (vlan definition not SVI) in this edge switch.

2. Also ensure that you allow vlan 3 in your uplink ports from this edge switch towards your core or distribution.

Hope this helps.

Madhu

******kindly rate all useful posts*******

Another way to make it work is simply change the ip address of the printer to vlan 5 range :)

Thanks,

Madhu

Well I would agree with you except it is working! Printer has an IP address within the range of SVI for vlan 3. The port is assigned to vlan 5, but pings are working from vlan 4 and other vlans. Does the vlan really care about IP address or is it using MAC address to know where to go? This is pretty strange in my eyes.

Just to confirm, you can ping the ip and print to the printer as well?

I'm curious, if you remove the gateway address from the printer, can you still print to the printer and ping it?

Are your native vlans configure correctly on each side of the trunks?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card