cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Strange setup :: but want to try things with NAT? please confirm if this will work!

game123
Level 1
Level 1

Dears,

I have a simple question and I am amazed to see their setup . My question is below:

site A:  1.1.1.x/24  ( 1.1.1.10 - 1.1.1.100 )

site B: 1.1.1.x/24 also    ( 1.1.1.2 --- 1.1.1.9 ) meaning  they use different IP.

and the diagram is like

SITE A ------- ROUTER A -----(Leased Line)--------------------- ROUTER B -----(Leased Line)---------------------- ROUTER C -----SITE B

now if I make ROUTER C into STATIC NAT

3.3.3.3 ------- 1.1.1.2

3.3.3.4 -------- 1.1.1.3

where  3.3.3.x/24 is between  ROUTER B and ROUTER C   then.................would it be fine for packets from anywhere to reach  the right places and machines without errors ?  [ there is no  duplication on IP, just same network. Also cannot make VPN , just NAT is  possible , pls advice ]

regards,

1 Reply 1

CHAD REID
Level 1
Level 1

Game, based on this setup, I believe you will have complete connectivity for any connections initiated from Site A to Site B. You will not, however, have connectivity for connections initiated from Site B to Site A. For example, let's say that someone at Site B wants to communicate with 1.1.1.100. Router C is going to see that as a local subnet directly connected.

A workaround for this would be to do exactly on Router A as you're doing on Router C. Maybe a 4.4.4.4/24 subnet with static NAT? That is, however, getting rather complicated. If Site B only has a few hosts, you will save lots of headache down the road by changing the subnet to something else.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card