cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stuck on Boot (Cisco Catalsyst 3750 PoE - 48 Switch)

cipabellana
Level 1
Level 1

HI, can someone help me with my Cisco catalyst 3750 poe 48 switch, because it always stuck on Booting.

I already reinstalled the image but results were still the same :(

kindly check the attached file for the screenshot

12 Replies 12

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

The switch actually seems to have started up properly, it just is not accepting your commands from the console.

There is a slight possibility that the console has been configured not to accept commands. This could be accomplished by the no exec command in the line con 0 section which is usually mistaken for no exec-timeout especially when using command completion.

Can you try to perform the password recovery procedure for this switch and rename the flash:config.text file to a different name so that the switch boots with an empty configuration? Please do this even if you believe that the configuration is empty already. The link below provides steps to perform the password recovery procedure:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-2950-series-switches/12040-pswdrec-2900xl.html

Best regards,
Peter

Hi,

Ok, I'll try this one and i will inform you later about the results, thanks :)

Hi,

there is no config.text inside the flash, I only see the image file, crashinfo_ext and another crashinfo.

Hi,

I understand. Hmm, this is getting more serious.

I wonder - what is your current console bit rate? Is it 9600 bits or any other value? You said you have already restored the IOS image in the FLASH. Did you modify the console speed settings in any way?

Best regards,
Peter

I'm using 9600 for the bit rate.

I did change the BAUD rate before to 115200 to speed up the xmodem transfer of the image then i set it back again to 9600.

I did also tried to transfer the image using only 9600 and it took me 5 hours to finish the xmodem transfer, but I still got the same result.

Hi,

Okay, I see.

If you can afford one more attempt at copying the IOS image, this is my suggestion: Go through the common sequence of interrupting the boot process, issue the flash_init and load_helper commands, change the BAUD setting to 115200, and now format the FLASH memory using the format flash: command (if that is not supported, try erase flash: ). Perhaps there is some file in the FLASH that is being loaded by the IOS and the IOS somehow gets stuck on that. I would like to be absolutely sure that the IOS is being booted in a completely clean environment. After the FLASH is formatted, copy the IOS into the FLASH again.

Also, when you issue the set command in your bootloader prompt, can you post here its output please?

Do you also have an option of trying a different IOS image?

Best regards,
Peter

Hi,

One more thing. In HyperTerminal, there is an option of capturing the entire session into a file:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/2500-series-routers/17521-capture-text-hyperterminal.html

Please configure HyperTerminal to do this, and save the entire process of the switch booting up into a file, then post it here. From your screenshot, there appears to be a garbled output at the top that resembles a traceback message. It could hint toward a hardware error - but we need to see that in its entirety.

Best regards,
Peter

Hi peter,

Ok, I'll try it and give you some updates sooner or later :)

thank you and Happy new year :)

Hi,

kindly see the attached file for the captured session details :D

Hi peter,

I already have the captured text of the sessions below :)

Hi,

Hmmm, nothing wrong in the capture you have posted.

I have only two suggestions left at this point.

First, I have suggested that you format the entire FLASH and download just the IOS image back to it in the bootloader. From the output you have posted, I can see that you have not tried this step yet: The fsck operation claims that there are 9 files and 3 directories in the FLASH. If the FLASH was formatted, there would be just the root directory and significantly fewer files. So my suggestion is to use the format flash: command in bootloader prompt and then re-download the IOS image to see if this helps.

My second suggestion is to wait until the switch boots, and regardless of the fact that we were able to see all the boot messages, assume that after the last visible message, the switch changed the console speed to a different value. Therefore, in your terminal emulator, try testing all the valid COM port speeds: 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600, 19200, 38400, 57600, 115200. With every setting, try hitting Enter several times to see if the switch starts responding, and if not, move to the next setting and repeat the test.

Best regards,
Peter

Hi,

Unfortunately, non of these works :(

I tried to test it on different port speeds and wait for it to boot, hitting enter several times.

formatting also didn't work :(, after formatting and downloading the image, the system claim that there is only 1 file found on the flash which is the cisco image (c3750)

well anyway, thank you very much for trying to helping me out . T_T

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card