Views
Helpful
Replies

Subnet

nikuhappy2010
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We need to increase the IP's in existing network from 192.168.2.0/24 to 192.168.2.0/21. We have Servers placed in same VLAN and DHCP server is also in the same VLAN. The GW is configured on FW. So once I change the subnet on FW, what issues I can face as I need to perform this task remotely. The changes should be done in which order?

Please assist. Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Have you considered just create more VLANs and assigning /24's to them?

I don't know your network, but for example you could allocate one /24 to servers, one /24 to workstations, one /24 for WiFi devices, etc.

It is usually better to divide the network up, than to create one massive single network.

I understand your concern but client is not agreed on this. Thanks.

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you really want to do this then I would start by changing the subnet mask on the firewall, any layer 3 switches, networking devices, servers and then the DHCP pool, and lastly minor devices like printers.

Thanks Philip for your prompt response. As I said, I have to perform this task remotely where I will access the server placed at remote site over the STS tunnel and then access the FW. So once I change the subnet on FW, is there any chance of dropping the access of server which can't be solved unless someone do manually change the server subnet on site?

Please confirm.

You should not loose any access if it you it in the order I have given.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card