cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SUP720 In CAT6509-E running CatOS - replacement of failed SUP

astanislaus
Level 2
Level 2

Say a CAT 6509-E has SUP720 in slots 5 and 6 and say SUP720 in slot 5 has failed and 6 has become active.

Now, I wish to replace the SUP720 in slot 5 now, but I cannot tell whether the RMA I received has CatOS or IOS.

I do not have another switch in the lab to do the conversion and none of the SUP720 has Compact Flash.

If I replace the SUP720 in slot 5 with the RMA I received, will the CatOS from Slot 6 get copied to the SUP720 in 5 and that will also start running CaTOS or shouldn't I take that risk?

What about config?

6 Replies 6

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If I replace the SUP720 in slot 5 with the RMA I received, will the CatOS from Slot 6 get copied to the SUP720 in 5 and that will also start running CaTOS or shouldn't I take that risk?

What about config?

No, There isn't an IOS synchronization process between Supervisors. When upgrading the IOS on one Supervisor, you must also manually upgrade the IOS on the secondary Supervisor.

The Supervisors synchronize the startup config only when the IOS running on both Supervisors are compatible.

Therefore, to answer your question, whatever Supervisor becomes the active Supervisor during the Switch boot will dictate the IOS version and config that device will run.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Had this issue last year when I RMA-ed a Sup32. I had to specify to Cisco TAC that the replacement card must have IOS loaded (previous RMA arrived with CatOS).

And the card arrived with monolithic (non-modular) IOS.

Sorry to hear that inconvenience but I hope my reply made sense on how the synchronization takes place.

__

Edison.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

System Software Conversion from CatOS to Cisco IOS for Catalyst 6500/6000 Switches

www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008015bfa6.shtml#conv_720

I know how to convert from CatOS to IOS and vice versa on SUP720, but I need a spare chassis in lab, which I don't have at the moment. This customer will not allow me to take his CORE switch down for 1 or more hours and use his switch to convert the RMA module if it comes with IOS. HE is running CatOS.

That leaves you with 2 options:

1. Upgrade/downgrade the IOS on the same chassis the Sup720. This can be done but as to whether it will affect the operation of the entire chassis, I am not sure.

2. RMA the card again and have them ship you the card with the IOS you want.

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: