Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

supervisor engine redundancy

I need to installer a supervisor for redundancy the card I will use is a  WS-X45-SUP6L-E  the switch have this model of card intalled

but I need redundancy but I need to use the ten giga ports too but I don´t know if the supervisor is in the stanby mode I can use

the ten giga or this ports are in the standby too and I need to install another line card only for the spf.

Thanks...

4 Replies 4

michael_eaves
Level 1
Level 1

Here a doc for the 4500 sup redundancy states and configuration:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/25ew/configuration/guide/RPR.html

My preference is to use a separate line card for all switching ports. 

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I believe the later 4500 sups now allow their ports to be used even when they are in standby mode.  However, I would double check the docs for a sup6L-E. 

Ivan Shirshin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

For 4500 E-series, the uplinks on the Supervisor Engine 6-E have three options in redundant mode operation.

1. The first option is referred to as 1 + 1 redundancy. In this configuration, only one 10 Gigabit Ethernet uplink port on each of the two supervisor engines carries traffic, and each port forwards traffic at line rate.

2. The second option is referred to as 2 + 2 redundancy; in this configuration, both 10 Gigabit Ethernet uplink ports on each of the two supervisor engines are forwarding traffic and the uplinks are 2:1 oversubscribed.

3. The third option is referred to as 4 + 4 redundancy. In this configuration, twin gigabit converter modules are used and all four Gigabit Ethernet uplink ports on each of the two supervisor engines carry traffic simultaneously at wire rate.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps4324/prod_white_paper0900aecd806ed38a.html

Kind Regards,
Ivan Shirshin

**Please grade this post if you find it useful.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Ok thanks but Can I use one 10 Gigabit Ethernet in each supervisor and the other in 1 Gigabit Ethernet

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card