Views
Helpful
Replies

Supported hardware egress queues on catalyst 9000 switches

Dinesh DG
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Support, 

I am looking to implement 12 class QoS model and would like to know the supported hardware egress queues on catalyst 9600, 9400 and 9300 devices. May I know where can I can get the information for these informtion

TIA

6 Replies 6

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Ref : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9000/white-paper-c11-742388.html
                           (look for  egress with your find  in your  browser) , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

BTW, although @marce1000 reference, I believe, resolves your question, I recall (?) the 12 class RFC is specific regarding marking, actual QoS treatment is not so well defined.

Cisco's AutoQoS, implementation, I believe, is what Cisco considers a good/best egress treatment using a Cisco device's egress QoS features.

However, if your goal is truly good QoS handling your traffic, you may want to customize your QoS.

Thank you all for your valuable feedbacks. I have to customize the QoS.  My main question here is I want a reference/specification document to understand if 9600 with Sup1 , 9400 with sup-2 and 9300 models are supported with 12 class hardware queing in those devices. Is there any document that explains those information ?

From reading @marce1000 reference, it appears all the 9Ks support 8 port egress queues in one of 3 configurations: 

1.     8q3t => 8 normal queues, 3 thresholds per queue

2.     1p7q3t => 1 priority queue, 7 normal queues, 3 thresholds per queue

3.     2p6q3t => 2 priority (level 1 and 2) queues, 6 normal queues, 3 thresholds per queue

Again, AutoQoS would likely map the 12 class model into the 8 queues (probably as also shown in the referenced document - search for 1st example of "policy-map 2P6Q3T").

BTW, personally, IMO, I believe "one size fits all" is seldom the case for excellent egress QoS treatment.  I would suggest, you first consider/design your ideal logical egress QoS treatment (don't worry about the 12-class model), then try to figure out how best to physically implement your ideal logical egress QoS treatment on your particular network devices.

Thank you very much for the reply, appreciate this.

Hi@Dinesh,

To implement a 12-class QoS model on Catalyst 9600, 9400 and 9300 switches, you can find information about the supported hardware egress queues on these devices by visiting the official Cisco website. Look for the product documentation section and search for the specific switch models. Check the documents related to QoS or hardware capabilities to find the details you need. This approach helped me solve the same issue.

Good luck!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card