cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch 3850 stack extremely slow telnet

M05121990
Level 1
Level 1

My switch 3850 uses IOS version 3.7.4E. I configured an IP for Mgmt interface to telnet but it's extremely slow. Anyone has any solution?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Make sure the Mgmt  interface uses a separate (vrf) , and ip address ; e,g:

interface GigabitEthernetx/y (or whatever the name of mgmt interface is)
vrf forwarding Mgmt-vrf
ip address x.x.x.x   value-of-netmask

(use the define ip address to connect via telnet).

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

View solution in original post

I fixed my issue with adding default route in VRF, instead of default gateway  and it is working fine for me. Make sure you need to specific for your Management interface routing as per your scenario.Thanks!

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Hello,

this could be caused by a variety of things. What Vlan does the management IP belong to, and where is it routed ? Check for CPU utilization on the switch, or any devices the connection passes through (show proc cpu).

Also, you might want to check the uptime of the switch. If it has been up for a very long time, access might become slow. Rebooting the device might help.

I fixed my issue with adding default route in VRF, instead of default gateway  and it is working fine for me. Make sure you need to specific for your Management interface routing as per your scenario.Thanks!

Thank you!!! You helped me fix the same issue you were having.

The funny thing is that I have a different switch (same model) that has the default GW (X.X.X.55) and the ip route vrf Mgmt-vrf 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.55 (same ip as the default GW) and it works perfectly. The only difference them is that they have different IOS XE -- Fuji (works) and Everest (works with out default GW).

Palani Mohan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi there

Ok, we understand your problem. There are two possibilities: network OR host. Identifying if host is the cause is relatively easy. You need to have console access though. Connect to console and from here, attempt to telnet to the switch. Do you see ok telnet performance OR is it comparable to what you experienced when you wrote "extremely slow telnet"?

Kind regards .... Palani

craig.cordts
Level 1
Level 1

What Telnet client are you using ? If you are using Putty, try Teraterm and vice versa. 

FYI, Telnet is considered insecure ( it transmits it's commands and data in plain text ) so it is best practice to use SSH. 

Craig

salemmahara
Level 3
Level 3

I recommend you to check CPU and RAM utilization. It might help you . If it's normal, you can check other possible and strange options like network . Telnet is not memory or CPU killer in client side so if your client computer performs other tasks fluently, it's not a client side problem .

Show processes cpu sorted

show processes memory sorted  

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Make sure the Mgmt  interface uses a separate (vrf) , and ip address ; e,g:

interface GigabitEthernetx/y (or whatever the name of mgmt interface is)
vrf forwarding Mgmt-vrf
ip address x.x.x.x   value-of-netmask

(use the define ip address to connect via telnet).

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card