cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch and AP with Multiple VLANs

Robert Juric
Level 1
Level 1

I am planning on adding a new SSID to our 1242 APs for office guests. I would like to seperate the SSIDs into seperate VLANs. I think I can figure that part out, however I'm unsure of how to configure the switchport that the AP is plugged into? Would I configure it as a trunk to allow both VLANs to pass?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

robert.juric wrote:

I am planning on adding a new SSID to our 1242 APs for office guests. I would like to seperate the SSIDs into seperate VLANs. I think I can figure that part out, however I'm unsure of how to configure the switchport that the AP is plugged into? Would I configure it as a trunk to allow both VLANs to pass?

Robert

Yes, if you want your AP to be able to pass traffic for multiple vlans down the same physical link you will need to configure the switchport as a trunk ie.

int gi0/1

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

note that depending on your switch the "switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q" command may not be available.

Jon

View solution in original post

robert.juric wrote:

On a somewhat related side-question; When the 'switchport trunk encap dot1q' command is not available what is the default encapsulation method?

Depends on the switch but with the more modern switches it is 802.1q eg. the 2950 does not have that command and some modules in the 6500 don't either and it is 802.1q. ISL, the other encapsulation method is less used these days.

Jon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

robert.juric wrote:

Robert

Yes, if you want your AP to be able to pass traffic for multiple vlans down the same physical link you will need to configure the switchport as a trunk ie.

int gi0/1

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

note that depending on your switch the "switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q" command may not be available.

Jon

On a somewhat related side-question; When the 'switchport trunk encap dot1q' command is not available what is the default encapsulation method?

robert.juric wrote:

Depends on the switch but with the more modern switches it is 802.1q eg. the 2950 does not have that command and some modules in the 6500 don't either and it is 802.1q. ISL, the other encapsulation method is less used these days.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card