Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch CLI on Catalyst 6509

mathias54
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I just got access to Catalyst 6509 switch with two supervisor engine 2T cards. For future use I was looking for a way how to reset/restart active supervisor and get stand-by supervisor to cover its functionality during booting. From documentation I understood that it should be done from switch console with prompt like this: 

Console> (enable)

However after boot I am getting MSFC CLI:

Router>

Do I miss anything? It is running Cisco IOS 15.1.

Thank you for advise.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

rakeshvelagala
Level 3
Level 3

Not very sure but I think the documentation you followed is catos and not IOS.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Router>

Do I miss anything? It is running Cisco IOS 15.1

At this point you can simply type "enable" and check to make sure the new sup is the primary.

use command " sh redundancy" to verify.

HTH

Well the IOS command for switchover is redundancy force-switchover but it doesnt solve the problem that I cant access to sup CLI.

Hi 

Firstly, before you do the redundancy force switch over, are they in redundancy?

Are they running the same version of IOS?

can you post show redundancy?

From which Sup are you actually console to? Once you have done the redundancy force switch over, connect to the other sup.

Thanks

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

In old hybrid mode, 6500 booted into CATOS and then you managed MFCs via a session to the sup.  With newer native mode, 6500s (at least with sup720) actually boot L2 and L3, but once platform is running IOS, switch and sup features are configured from the IOS CLI.

Also on the 6500 (again for the sup720), there are still commands to look at or logon onto the L2 part of the sup, but you don't need to configure anything (as far as I know) using these methods.

To flip between supervisors, you can use the redundancy force-switchover, as you've noted, or you can just reload the sup line card.  I.e. you don't need access to the sup CLI.

rakeshvelagala
Level 3
Level 3

Not very sure but I think the documentation you followed is catos and not IOS.

The documnet is from cisco and I now figured out that its realy under catos section :) My bad. 

Thank you very much anyway.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card