cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch Configs

rbanse
Level 1
Level 1

I have two older layer 2 Cisco 2960's that I am attempting to get to talk to each other but having difficulties. The median between them is an old wireless access point/antenna that is acting like a bridge and should just be passing traffic. Building A has a 2960 which is connected to a sonicwall and dsl. Everything works fine in Building A. Now we would like connect Building B to Building A. The wireless antenna on each end plugs into each 2960. I get a green link light, but the 2960 in Building B cannot ping the 2960 in Building A, nor can it ping any other devices on the network.

The port config on each uplink on each 2960 is as follows:

switchport trunk native vlan 20
spanning-tree link-type point-to-point

The ip defaulkt gateway on the Building B switch is the Sonicwall.   

The previos port config I was attemping to use on each 2960 was:

switchport mode trunk

But then I received vlan messages such as:

*Mar  6 22:11:43.002: %SPANTREE-2-RECV_PVID_ERR: Received BPDU with inconsistent peer vlan id 1 on GigabitEthernet0/1 VLAN20.
*Mar  6 22:11:43.002: %SPANTREE-2-BLOCK_PVID_PEER: Blocking GigabitEthernet0/1 on VLAN0001. Inconsistent peer vlan.
*Mar  6 22:11:43.002: %SPANTREE-2-BLOCK_PVID_LOCAL: Blocking GigabitEthernet0/1 on VLAN0020. Inconsistent local vlan.

So I changed the port config to use:

switchport trunk native vlan 20

I no longer recieve the errors but unable to talk between the two switches.

If I plug in the cable out of the wireless access point in Building B into a laptop, it works fine. So I know traffic is being passed through this old wireless antenna. I just don't know why when it's plugged into a switch, why it wouldn't be working. Do the switch ports need to be access ports?

Any help would be appreciated.  See crude drawing attached. Thanks.

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is building A in the same subnet/vlan as building B?

If that is the case, you can simply configure the port on each 2960 as an access port.

example

config t

inter gi0/1

switchport access vlan x
switchport mode access

do the same with the other switch and test.

HTH

Thx. Yes, same subnet. Will give this a try.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card