Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch failover or redundancy

respinfo1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I just built a new wifi bridge between 2 sites and i was wondering how to make a failover "like" or redundancy link between those 2 sites using the old wifi bridge, so if the new bridge fails (green link) the old one can take the lead (red line).
I was thinking about creating a link between SW 13 and SW 14 (see image, black arrow), a loop basically.
With STP enable, i was thinking that may be the switches (13 and 14) might be able to stop the loop and choose the best connection, so if the wifi bridge between AP11-AP12 fails, AP21-22 will
"take the lead" (replacing the new wifi bridge).
Is this the way to achieve such things and how do i make it ?
I might add firmware version if needed or sh run
For info, all the SW are managed through a MGT vlan 99 (7 vlans in total).
Use easy word, because i am not fluent and not expert in SW conf ^, just know vlan, port speed, basic stuff...
LCswitch_failover.png

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is the site required to Layer 2 Extention, if not i will build a Layer 3 network with any IGP for LB,

If not i make it trunk allow odd and even VLAN different path with STP priority.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

respinfo1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,
thanks for answering but we are not playing in the same division ^
To be clear, i did not understand your reply, because of my lack of knowledge.
I think i am in layer 2 config, just using vlan, no routing table or iptable firewall stuff, basic config.(WAN public ip -> pfsense -> 6 (+1 for WAN) vlans -> switches...)
May be i should read 300 more pages of pdf before posting here, my bad.
thanks for helping anyway.

Maybe this will help you, if you looking only Layer 2 ( and we take switches are Cisco as per the networking diagram )

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/lan-switching/spanning-tree-protocol/10555-15.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello,

I would think the switches on both sides need to be able to detect a link failure even if it is an indirect one (that is, if the other side fails), in order to avoid traffic being blackholed.

I think you don't need SW14 at all, just connect both APs to SW13, and then use EEM (provided your 2960 switches support that) on both switches to trigger the failover.

It might be a good idea to post the full running configs of switches SW12 and SW13 (put a description on the respective interfaces where the APs are connected to). 

Hello,
At the moment everything is running with the green line 1Gb and it's fine, there is no link between in SW14 and 13
I can remove SW14 and connect AP22 to SW13, to a 100Mb FD port, let's say it is the current config now.
My goal is to get the connection running (red line, old bridge AP21-> AP22) if the new bridge (green line, AP11 and AP12) fails between SW12 and 13.
I dont have a particular setup on ports for those switches.
let say (with the new setup, without SW14) that it is the running config:
SW 12 Ge0/1 (1000mb - default, trunk all)    --> AP11
SW 12 Ge0/2 (100mb FD, trunk all)              --> AP21
SW 13 Ge0/1 (1000mb - default, trunk all)   --> AP12
SW 13 Ge0/2 (100mb FD, trunk all)              --> AP22
Native vlan is vlan1 but i dont have any devices on it.
I do have access through webinterface or ssh or CNA to those switch with privilege lvl 15.
Which command line i have to write to do such thing?
Or do u need a sh run ?
thanks.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card