cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch failure

omar_elmohri
Level 1
Level 1

I have a switch that can't work! the problem that all ports work perfectely, and I can't use console port to configure it..so it works with it's default configuration..also the switch is not manifactured by Cisco

All indicators on the switch work well but the ping fail with a standard static IP configuration. I rebooted it but the problem don't fix, can anyone help?

8 Replies 8

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

I would suggest to post the model,make of the switch so that it will be informative to others as well you can get replies based on other netpros experince with that particular make or model..

regds

My switch is a CNET CNSH-2400, but I was surprused by another problem: I replaced that switch with a hub, first it works well, but after two days it stops with the same problem, all indicators works but no ping between clients!

Hi

I feel this behaviour may be due to heavy broadcasts being generated by virus or worms residing in some of the wkstations.

Have u checked out anything inline with collision indicators on the CNET switch or with hub ?

do u have any option to check out the collision physically by seeing any LEDs with respect to each port status ??

Also if u gotta router in ur environment which conencts ur local lan up to the SP or remote network you can very well check up for the geninuity of the traffic which traverse ur network.

If ur router is of cisco make then u can very well enable netflow and check out the transactions with source and destination port as well as ip address details.from that you can very well nab the culprits if its creating some rogue traffic in ur local lan..

regs

Thank you!

I tried with the switch to use only two positions, the first of my PC and a second coming from another switch which is connected to a router, and it didn't work..until I use directely the source cable on my PC, where It works normally

Someone gave me an idea, and I'll try it..it's to use a sniffer and observe the traffic, but I think I'll use it with the hub will be better! what you think of this??

Hi

I would suggest to use that with a switch instead .

if urnt able to turn that on with ur switch u can try it with ur hub..

regds

ok, it will be better to do it with a hub, but should I place only two ports first for the first time?

hi prem,

let me know how to enable the netflow in the router. i am having 3640 cisco router in my client place. Are you meant the netflow software available in the net some netflow analyser, etc...

or router itself having the analysing power.

Hi rajesh

you can make use of ip route-cache flow under the interface level which will help u to analyse the traffic flow .

once u r thru with that you can use up show ip cache flow command to check out the flow details.

the output usually gives u the source & destination ip address as well as the port details..

regds

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card