Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch generated packets in SPAN session

gnijs
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

Does anyone know if i can see switch generated packets in a SPAN session on a C3750 switch ?

For example: i want to see the ports generated BPDUs (by the switch) and also the switch generated LOOP packets ,

however i  have noticed i don't see any BPDU packets in my captures, while the BPDU do increment in the "show spanning tree details" command.

Soft version: 12.2(46)SE4

regards,

Geert

1 Reply 1

smogra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You need to use the SPAN and define the destination port using the optional encapsulation replicate keywords.

The  default configuration for local SPAN session ports is to send all   packets untagged. SPAN also does not normally monitor bridge protocol   data unit (BPDU) packets and Layer 2 protocols, such as Cisco Discovery   Protocol (CDP), VLAN Trunk Protocol (VTP), Dynamic Trunking Protocol   (DTP), Spanning Tree Protocol (STP), and Port Aggregation Protocol   (PAgP). However, when you enter the encapsulation replicate keywords when configuring a destination port, these changes occur:

• Packets   are sent on the destination port with the same encapsulation—untagged,   Inter-Switch Link (ISL), or IEEE 802.1Q—that they had on the source   port.

• Packets of all types, including BPDU and Layer 2 protocol packets, are monitored.

Therefore,  a local SPAN session with encapsulation replicate enabled can  have a  mixture of untagged, ISL, and IEEE 802.1Q tagged packets appear  on the  destination port.

See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_55_se/configuration/guide/swspan.html#wp1204187 for further info.

Regards

Sweta

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card