Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch IOS version and hardware version compatibility

Craddockc
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I am confused about some things regarding the different IOS versions and their compatibility with certain switch hardware. I understand the differences between the IPBASE and IPSERVICES ios but am not quite clear as to how you can tell which ios images will work on which Cisco switch model platforms, other than the fact that some switches are designed only to run the IPBASE images and others have advanced hardware to run the advanced images.

For instance, if I have a 3750-24TS-E with an IPBASE ios on it, can I load an IPSERVICES ios that came from say a 3750G-24TS-E1U? How can you tell whether the ios on one platform can be transferred to another?

Thanks.

Chris.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

So if I am understanding you correctly, are you saying that as long as the switch is the "E" version and has enough flash that it will take any ipservices image and run it?

What I meant was, if your 3750 had a suffix of "-E" then it means that it ORIGINALLY came with IP Services feature set IOS and most likely someone downgraded the feature set to IP Base.  This also means that originally, your organization could have a valid Service Contract to download the IP Services feature set IOS from the Cisco website.

As to whether or not the IP Services IOS will "fit" into the 3750 will depend entirely upon the flash memory space you have on the appliance.

The easiest way to determine what is your flash memory of your switch is to use the command "dir flashX:" with "X" being the switch number in a stack.  For instance if you have three 3750-series switches in a stack, then the command would be "dir flash3:" to determine what is the directory listing as well as the size of the flash memory of the 3rd member of the switch stack. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
For instance, if I have a 3750-24TS-E with an IPBASE ios on it, can I load an IPSERVICES ios that came from say a 3750G-24TS-E1U?

Firstly, I'll have to apologize for not answering your question directly as your question hits different issues.

Next, look at the LAST letter of your switch models.  Do you notice the "-E"?  This means that your switch is originally loaded with an "Enterprise" feature set (and maybe someone's downgraded the feature set to IP Base).

Next, look at the amount of flash memory your switches have.  IP Services, unfortunately is a larger file when you compare it to the size of an IP Base IOS.

If memory serves me right, if your intended switch only has 16 mb of flash, the highest IP Services you can load is the 12.2(50)SE or later.  It will be unfortunate that you can't load 12.2(55)SE6 IP Service.

Don't even bother/try/attempt to load the 12.2(52)SE and or 12.2(53)SE as you'll only get sleepless nights.

If your intended switch has 32 mb flash space, then I would recommend you use 12.2(55)SE6 as it's one of THE most stable IOS I've ever used.  The newest IOS is the 15.0(2)SE and I have now revised my recommendation from "OK" to "Avoid at all cost". 

Hope this helps.

leolaohoo,

Thank you for the reply. So if I am understanding you correctly, are you saying that as long as the switch is the "E" version and has enough flash that it will take any ipservices image and run it? Or are there certain ios's that are designed for certain models only? Thanks.

Chris.

So if I am understanding you correctly, are you saying that as long as the switch is the "E" version and has enough flash that it will take any ipservices image and run it?

What I meant was, if your 3750 had a suffix of "-E" then it means that it ORIGINALLY came with IP Services feature set IOS and most likely someone downgraded the feature set to IP Base.  This also means that originally, your organization could have a valid Service Contract to download the IP Services feature set IOS from the Cisco website.

As to whether or not the IP Services IOS will "fit" into the 3750 will depend entirely upon the flash memory space you have on the appliance.

The easiest way to determine what is your flash memory of your switch is to use the command "dir flashX:" with "X" being the switch number in a stack.  For instance if you have three 3750-series switches in a stack, then the command would be "dir flash3:" to determine what is the directory listing as well as the size of the flash memory of the 3rd member of the switch stack. 

leo,

Thank you! This makes total sense. I was reading that the 3750 model switch does not have a specific model for specific images. All images will work on the switch, but like you said it just depends on the size of the flash memory. For instance the c3750-ipservicesk9-mz.122-55.SE1.bin is only about 12M, so it will fit. But the 12,2(58)SE is over 16M so it will not fit on a switch with only 16MB of flash but all models of 3750 will run the image correct?

But the 12,2(58)SE is over 16M so it will not fit on a switch with only 16MB of flash but all models of 3750 will run the image correct?

Yes.  This is correct.

Just be careful, ok?  12.2(58)SE and later is an IOS I'd avoid like a plague.

The most stable is the 12.2(55)SE and later. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card