cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch lost configuration... Is there any way to configure it remotely?

I have a 2960 that bounced several times over the weekend and then appears to have lost its configuration. Using CDP from the backbone switch pulls up the information below. Is there any way for me to configure the downed switch from another switch on the network? I am trying to avoid having someone from the site try to find a console cable and a suitable computer with a serial port. Any help is appreicated as we are currently down. Thank you.

C3560-Backbone#sho cdp nei d

-------------------------

Device ID: Switch

Entry address(es):

Platform: cisco WS-C2960CG-8TC-L,  Capabilities: Switch IGMP

Interface: GigabitEthernet0/10,  Port ID (outgoing port): GigabitEthernet0/10

Holdtime : 161 sec

Version :

Cisco IOS Software, C2960C Software (C2960c405ex-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 12.2(55)EX2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2011 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Wed 18-May-11 14:42 by prod_rel_team

advertisement version: 2

Protocol Hello:  OUI=0x00000C, Protocol ID=0x0112; payload len=27, value=00000000FFFFFFFF010231FF0000000000002C3F38D26200FF0000

VTP Management Domain: ''

Native VLAN: 1

Duplex: full

Management address(es):

-------------------------

edit: Just masking some data.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi James,

Do you happen to see the ip address under the management address of this particular router?

If yes are u able to reach ? if yes try telnet if in case it works then you are lucky but most of the time it will not if you have lost the configuration.

Reason :

Username and password configuration might be gone

Telnet input configuration will not be there.( i.e line vty 0 4 , login, transport input telnet)

Then only way would be to console onto the router and configure the device.(Usually 90% to this type of issue would be to use console and confiugre as all the other option would be wind off).

HTH

REgards

Inayath

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi James,

Do you happen to see the ip address under the management address of this particular router?

If yes are u able to reach ? if yes try telnet if in case it works then you are lucky but most of the time it will not if you have lost the configuration.

Reason :

Username and password configuration might be gone

Telnet input configuration will not be there.( i.e line vty 0 4 , login, transport input telnet)

Then only way would be to console onto the router and configure the device.(Usually 90% to this type of issue would be to use console and confiugre as all the other option would be wind off).

HTH

REgards

Inayath

Hello. I provided the complete output. The management IP address is gone. I figured console access would be the case. Thanks for the reply.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card