Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch port bandwidth and speed

fgasimzade
Level 4
Level 4

Hello everyone!

The question is - if I set the speed of the switch port to 10mb/s full duplex, do I set it for both download/upload? I mean 10 for download and 10 for upload?

If I set the bandwidth of the port to 10mb/s - do I limit upload or download?

If I set srr-queue bandwidth limit on the port, do I limit upload or download? Or may be both?

Thanks in advance!

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Fgasimzade,

1)  link speed 10 Mbps is set for both TX and RX directions full duplex means bidirectional traffic is possible ( no need to wait to transmit as in old shared network segments)

2)  bandwidth command does not provide any form of traffic limitation

3) outbound = egress = tx direction only

>> You can limit the bandwidth on an egress port. For  example, if a customer pays only for a small percentage of a high-speed  link, you can limit the bandwidth to that amount

srr-queue bandwidth limit weight1

Specify the percentage of the port speed to which the port should be limited. The range is 10 to 90.

By default, the port is not rate limited and is set to 100 percent.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_58_se/configuration/guide/swqos.html#wp1253412

To be noted this is referred to the actual port speed. So if you have reduced the port speed setting the speed manually you need to take in account this.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

outbound = egress = tx direction only

>>  You can limit the bandwidth on an egress port. For  example, if a  customer pays only for a small percentage of a high-speed  link, you can  limit the bandwidth to that amount

srr-queue bandwidth limit weight1

Thank you!

In this case ingress (upload) stays unlimited, right?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card