Helpful
Replies

switch recommendation

xiaoliangyue
Level 1
Level 1

hi, guys,

I'm trying to sort out 2 switch models.

the 1st model is core for all switches in the building. I'm thinking it shall have 48 ports, all qsfp or qsffp + sfp+? 2 core switches are needed - 1 for each building.

the 2nd model is access switch, 24 PoE 1g ports should suffice for now. 16 access switches are needed in total.

each access switch connects to the core switch via 2 x 10g fiber.

the 2 core switches are connected via 2 x 40g fiber.

all fiber are om4 mm.

This network is a backbone, primarily for monitoring and management by a few systems. Traffic are not much.

any inputs are appreciated!

Jon

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

For the core, you can use a set of 6800 series switches (one in each building) with 40Gig and 10Gig modules.  You can set them up as VSS so, you are only managing logically one switch.

As for the access switches, the 3650 series switches are pretty good with all the features and functions you need in an access switch.

data sheets:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/catalyst-6800-series-switches/datasheet-listing.html

3650 series data sheet

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3650-series-switches/datasheet-c78-729449.html

HTH

M. G.
Level 1
Level 1

Reza is probably part of Cisco sales team :). 

For this you need 2960-x as access, 3850-24-1g fibre for distribution. No need for 10gig uplinks. 
Configure EhterChannel to have 2x1Gb on each access, stack 3850 and that is it.  
Whatever you do, don't buy 6880, in my opinion the worst peace of Cisco equipment ever made. 

If you want to have a piece of mind, avoid. 

Hi M.G,

No, I am not part of Cisco sales team :).  I provided the feedback based on the requirement.

As for the 6800 series, you may have had a bad experience with the image or particular model you were using.  I have had 6807 running for years with no issues. In general the hardware is fine, you just have to make sure the pick the right IOS, but that is the case with every Cisco device.

HTH

Hi,

You can visit this link and verify the proper models depending your requirements:

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/assets/prod/switches/cisco-switch-selector-how-to/index.html

Hope it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

xiaoliangyue
Level 1
Level 1

thanks for all the responses, guys. 

6800 seems over kill, I decide to choose WS-C3850-48XS-S. as for access switch, WS-C2960X-24PD-L shall suffice.

2 x 40g between 3850 switches are a bit beefy, i'm gonna stay with it, based on discussion with customer. I was considering QSFP-40G-SR4 transceiver, but prefer QSFP-40G-SR-BD now, it only uses 2 strands of fibre, which makes the closet look neat. has anyone experienced issue with QSFP-40G-SR-BD? I understand it's Cisco proprietary and pretty new.

I use BD optics all the time.  They are cheap and work fine with no issues. The beauty of it is that you keep the same cabling infrastructure you have and simply use LC connectors for 40 Gig connectivity. No need for any expensive re-cabling or patch panels.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card