Helpful
Replies

switch setup and 1000BASE-T SFP transceiver module

bheire1973
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I was looking for some general gudiance on the following:

We are looking to purchase some addidtional 48 port swithches for our network. Currently we have the following swtiches setup

2 of 3750 POE-24 (These two are stacked and have our servers plugged into them). Currently no SFP modules.

3 of 3560 POE-24 (These each have two 1000BASE-T SFP modules in them, with UTP connecting back to the 3750 switches above)

We are looking to get 2 of 48 port C2960S-48TS-L switches with two 1000BASE-T SFP modules in each that then will also connect back to the 3750 switches.

I had a few of question about this:

Will the cisco lite version (rather than the more expensive cisco base software) support the 1000BASE-T SFP modules?

The 1000BASE-T SFP modules, are they auto-config? Have you the link for commands we can use, if required?

We don't have budget for stack modules, apart from that would you recommend we change anything with the new setup?

Thanks for your help

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Bheire1973,

refer to the following compatibility matrix for GE transceivers,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/OL_6981.html

C2960 will support GLC-T see table 4.

no special configuration is needed but the module is likely able only to run at 1000 Mbps

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

Thanks for info.

In your opinion,  do you think it’s a waste of money purchasing the transceivers? Since I will have spare Ethernet ports on the C2960S-48TS-L switches that I could use to connect back to the main switches using a cross over? Work stations will be plugged into these switches.

Thanks again for all you help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card