Views
Helpful
Replies

switch sg100d-08 problems

stofarius
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

I just bought a brand new Cisco sg 100d unmanaged switched in order to have a a gigabit network, but unfortunately the speed is very low. I am transferring between 2 Windows 7 machines which are connected into the same switch but the speed is very low: maximum 22 MB which is outrageous for a Cisco gigabit switch.

Why is the transfer so slow? I am very dissapointed about this switch, what is the problem? I am thinking to return to the store because I wanted a gigabit switch and this is not a gigabit switch...

2 Replies 2

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Marius,

Yes, that can be very frustrating to transfer approximately 175 mbit (22 MBps). Do you know if you're using a Cat 5, CAT 5E or Cat 6 wire? When testing this transfer, do you have a simple point to point connection, essentially computer a, the switch, computer b and no other network equipment involved? How large is the file you're transferring between the computers? A lot of times if the file isn't large enough, it won't reach the capacity of the media or switch.

-Tom
Please rate helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Thomas,

When doing the transfer, my setup is like this:

Computer A connected to Cisco switch, with  CAT 5E cable, maximum 1m lenght

Computer B connected to Cisco switch, with CAT5E cable, maximum 1m lenght

I was transfering some files wich were minimum 700 MB (some files have 3-4 GB), a lot of files, total capacity to be transfered is about 50GB. I checked the cables to be written on them CAT 5E, they are bought from the store (or one of them came with a Linksys product).

While doing the transfer, there is no other network device between them.

I have another cable in this CISCO switch, which is Internet connection, and which is coming from a DOCSIS router I have from ISP, but this aspect is irelevant to my problem.

I also read a review some time ago, and a guy was saying that ports of this switch are 100mbps, only one port is 1000mbps. I refused to believe that , but now, after my experience, I don't know what to believe.

I was expected that this switch to be better than the Linksys2800 which I saw in the store at a cheaper price but now I think that I made a wrong choice.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: