Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch Stack Confusion

FoxtrotRomeo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

We are moving to a new location and I want to repurpose a couple of switches in our 3750 switch stack.  A couple of the stack members aren't being utilized very heavily with only a couple of switchports active so I want to remove them from the stack and install them at the new location.  Once we're ready to move, I want to add the remaining stack members back in at the new location.  I'm confused about the process.  First is removing the current stack members. 

To remove a stack member, all I have to do is power them off, remove the cables and close the loop, correct?  Do I need to run the

no switch stack-member-number provision command from the stack master directly or can I do it from an ssh session?  This part confused me from Cisco's documentation.  I assume that through an ssh session, I'm only in communication with the stack master.  Is this correct?  Also, will the removed members retain their configuration settings such as VLANS etc?

At the new site if I added the two removed members to a new stack, what's the process for adding the other switches to the new stack without destroying the configuration information?

1 Reply 1
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card