cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

switch stack replacement procedure ?

tedauction
Level 1
Level 1

Hello I have stack of 2 WS-C3650-24PS switches.

My primary switch is faulty and I need to remove it from the stack for an RMA. Can someone please confirm my procedure below for swapping this primary switch with a replacement is correct ?

Thank you kindly.

- the switch I want to decommission is currently the master.
- I will configure my new, replacement switch with the same switch number and priority as the current master.
- I will power off the current master switch and remove it from the rack.
- I will then connect my replacement switch to the existing secondary switch. I will only power on the new replacement switch after connecting it to the existing secondary switch.
- my new replacement primary switch will then auto-sync the config from the secondary switch.

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I will configure my new, replacement switch with the same switch number and priority as the current master.

This is not recommendable.  If switch 1 will ALWAYS be the master then switch (regardless whether it's the faulty unit or the new replacement unit) will always have the highest priority number.  Switch 2, because it's the designated secondary switch, will always have a lower priority to the switch master.  Changing the priority around defeats the purpose of the switch priority concept.  

my new replacement primary switch will then auto-sync the config from the secondary switch.

Once the replacement switch joins the stack, make sure to change the switch priority of the replacement switch if needed.

Hi

Please check these links:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/13203421/replacing-3850-switch-stack

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11517966/replace-master-switch-stack

Remember to get a configuration backup before to modify the stack. 

Hope it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

1) Power down old switch and remove from stack
2) On new switch load same IOS and feature set as exiting stack members
3) On new switch change switch member number and priority  to the old switch member number and priority ( you can find this on the live stack by sh switch command as the provision from old switch should still exist

4)save the config and power down new switch
5) reattached new switch to stack via stack wise cabling and power new switch up

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card