cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch Stacking, each Switch in a different Cabinet

avilt
Level 3
Level 3

I need to provide a stack switching solution with each switch in a different cabinet.

Current solution is 3750-X, two switches in a stack, in a single cabinet.

My customer is demaning that each switch should be in a diffeent server cabinet. But for the Cisco switches the maximum supported stack cable length is 3 M.

So is there any other alternate solution so that I can attain the same stack functionality and keep two switches in a separate cabinet?

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If there is hole between the 2 cabinets, 3 meter staking cable should be long enough.  If so, yes you can mount the switches at the very top of each cabinet and run the cable between them without going to the top (outside) of the cabinet and back down. You only need 1U space for each switch.

HTH

Is there any possibility of using LAN based stack with higher end switches?

I have explored the possibiltiy of keeping the switches either at the bottom or top but unfortunately they are not feasible at this moment.

With higher end switches (4500X, 4500, 6500) you can use VSS. You basically use Ethernet ports to cluster the switches instead of stacking cable.

more info:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/15-1-2/XE_340/configuration/guide/config/vss.html

If I use VSS, do they act like a single switch from the spanning tree perspective?

The reason I am aksing is that in the current stack, we are using flex-stack feature. (backup link)

Flextstack can be used on the same switch or stack but not with uplinks.

f I use VSS, do they act like a single switch from the spanning tree perspective?

Correct, both switches logically work as one and there is no need for flex-link feature any more.

HTH

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

I am not suggesting or recommending this but there is (if you search google) a company based in the states which manufacture stack cables longer than 3m.

Cisco will not support them also.

VSS is the way to go really but this requires swapping out the kit. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card