Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch to media convertor over FO issue

Hi all,

I could use some help with the problem below. The connection between the Cisco CBS-switch and Moxa media convertor over fiber optic is not working (picture 1). Different switch but the same set-up is working fine (picture 2). And the set-up in picture 3 is also working fine. All devices have default settings.

SFP is Cisco compatible. Wavelengths are identical (1310 nm). The only difference is: SPF = 1,25Gbs and Moxa is 100 Mbs but this is no problem with the Cisco SG220 switch used in picture 2.

Techchristiaan01_0-1708712997222.png

Any ideas? 

5 Replies 5

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @Techchristiaan01 ,

if the Moxa media converter is 100Mbps you should use  an SFP that runs at the same speed.

Are you sure it is working in case 2?

SFPs are not able to negotiate speed so for me it s strange that the link comes up on case 2

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello Giuseppe,

Yes, case 2 is working fine. I was also surprised, and that was the reason for my post. I know that speeds must match. I'm waiting for a 100 Mbp SFP to test case 1. But why does case 2 work with the SG220 and not with the CBS250?   

I will update the firmware of the CBS250 this week and test case 1 again. Any switch diagnostic options that I could try?

Thx

Christiaan

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I doubt it will work.  

The Moxa will only support 100BaseFX but the optics used is 1 Gbps.

Hello Leo,

Case 2 is working fine. I was also surprised, and that was the reason for my post. I know that speeds must match. I'm waiting for a 100 Mbp SFP to test case 1. But why does case 2 work with the SG220 and not with the CBS250?   

I will update the firmware of the CBS250 this week and test case 1 again. Any diagnostic options that I could try?

Thx

Christiaan

Ruben Cocheno
Spotlight
Spotlight

@Techchristiaan01 

That strange that you mixing up speeds and works fine, something must be broken.....

Tag me to follow up.
Please mark it as Helpful and/or Solution Accepted if that is the case. Thanks for making Engineering easy again.
Connect with me for more on Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/rubencocheno/
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card