Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch with Two VLANs and 4 Hosts pinging problem

alialyami90
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I'm currently training to get my CCNA. I hope I'm in the right place to ask about a problem I am facing.

So i set up a simple network on Packet Tracer. One switch connected with for PCs. Originally on VLAN 1, everyone was pinging everyone, no problems. 

Then I created two new VLANs, VLAN 2 and VLAN 3. I set them up lke this:

PC-1 and PC-2 on VLAN 2

PC-3 and PC-4 on VLAN 3

From PC-1 I can ping PC-2 and the switch, likewise from PC-2.

From PC-3 I can ping PC-4 but not the switch. Same thing from PC-4.

From the switch I can only ping the PCs in VLAN 2. 

I can ping VLAN 3 PCs only when I turn off VLAN 2. 

I turned off VLAN 1 just to test it, nothing

It is the same situation when the VLANs have the same IP or different ones. 

What is going on?

3 Replies 3

Martin L
VIP
VIP

you can attach your PT file here; zip it first, then attach that zip

Martin L
VIP
VIP

You probably do not use L3 switch, right? L2 switch can have just 1 SVI, aka interface vlan X, with IP address while L3 sw can have many SVIs. 

Normally PCs in the same vlan x will be able to communicate with each others; if PC in vlan x wants to talk to PC in Vlan Y, routing must be involved via a router (via ROAS) or L3 switch (via SVIs).

Each SVI interface correspond to vlan # and subnet; usually u should have 1 subnet per 1 vlan.

PT has different switch icons  for L2 and L3 switches

Hi

I attached the PT file.

My issue isn't with VLAN-2 not pinging with VLAN-3. I understand that I need a L3 device or a multi-layer switch to do that. 

The network is technically working as designed, the PCs broadcasts domain are separated into two VLANs. I'm just confused why I can't ping VLAN-3 PCs from the switches CLI. And can't ping the switch from VLAN 3 PCs.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card