Views
Helpful
Replies

Switched network design questions

Warren Sullivan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I am designing a revamp of our LAN environment, it is currently all HP, but i'm replacing everything with Cisco! YAY!

Whilst i am a CCNP, none of this is on the tests ;-)

I'm very new to larger Switched networks so i have a few questions on products. Cost is, as always a factor.

Please see below diagram

network.png

I'm looking at Cat 4500-X switches in the core due to fact that i need a lot of 10G interfaces for future expansion, the plan is to go 10G to the floor pods in time. I also want to run VSS in the core too.

I'm also happy for 48/24 port POE 3750's or 3560's for access switches in the pods.

The pod on the left is our data centre, this is where i am having difficulties in selecting a product, mostly because my lack of exposure to larger scale switched products. Essentially i need 2 x 10Gb uplinks to core, 2 x 10Gb downlinks to RJ45 server access switches and 4 x 10Gb links to the SAN

Would the following work? or am i better off getting a larger chassis with dual sups as opposed to 2 single sup 4500's?

2 x 4503-E with 7L-E sups with a line card (unsure which one) to provide the 10Gb connections to the SAN

2 x 3750-X 48 port 10/100/1000 with 4 1 Gb and 2 10Gb uplinks(one for interswitch 10Gb link to other 3750-X and one for uplink)

Thanks a tonne in advance for any advise you can give

Attached is the visio file as well

7 Replies 7

dominic.caron
Level 5
Level 5

In your datacenter, I think using 2 4500X  or 2 Nexus 5500(with routing module) would be better then using a 2 4500. You will get more 10G ports and gain the hability to use VSS or VPC.

Popular storage solution such as netapp recommand using multi-switch LACP to connect the storage controler to the network. Without VSS of VPC, this will be a problem.

I would also connect the two datacenter access switch to both 4500X(or 5500) and forget the link between them.

Ok so i have a general design now, im using 4948E in the DC but i have a problem, i need a fair amount of copper access for servers, but i also need a few 10Gb fibre and copper too for backup servers etc, i thought about the addition of a 4900M with a half card of copper 10Gb, which will work with its 17.5Mb shared buffer, but what i need is to connect my Blade center to these switches, currently the blade center is connected to a single HP 6600 switche via 4 10Gb links, configured as a single "trunk" aka etherchannel on the switch side.

I want these connections to span several 4900 series switches, and bundle them into an etherchannel accross several interconnected switches, is this possible with the 4948E?

Thanks guys!

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I'm looking at Cat 4500-X switches in the core due to fact that i need a lot of 10G interfaces for future expansion, the plan is to go 10G to the floor pods in time. I also want to run VSS in the core too.

4500 with Sup7E or Sup8E is not designed for "a lot of 10 Gbps interfaces".   The Nexus 7K/5K is.

I'm also happy for 48/24 port POE 3750's or 3560's for access switches in the pods.

Will you be implementing Wireless?  Whatever your answer, talk to your Cisco SE or Cisco Channel Partner.  Ask them about the 3850 Layer2/3 switch.

Essentially i need 2 x 10Gb uplinks to core, 2 x 10Gb downlinks to RJ45 server access switches and 4 x 10Gb links to the SAN

Any chances of you going 100 Gbps?  Whatever the case, Nexus 7K can support 10/40/100 Gbps (non-blocking).

Hi Leolaohoo

the 4500-X is not designed for a lot of 10Gbps interfaces? i suppose it depends on your definition of what "a lot" is, for me and our smaller business, a lot is not really a "lot" lol

we will have 8 into the server access pod and one to our DR site.....and two as VSL, would you consider that a lot?

Wireless, we have a newly implemented HP solution, not too happy about it but its in and its new, so it wont be replaced....at this stage ;-)

No chance of going 100 Gbps for us in the next 10 years....

Thanks

Warren

we will have 8 into the server access pod and one to our DR site.....and two as VSL, would you consider that a lot?

LOL.  4500X will do you just fine (if you are not planning to do MPLS).

Warren Sullivan
Level 1
Level 1

Beauty, we've had to scale down a bit on the edge due to $$$ but I'm happy with what we're getting, can not wait to sell all the hp switches as boat anchors.
Basically we are having 2960s's on the edge stacked, 2x 4900M and 6 x 4948E in our DC's and 2 x 4500-X at each side too for the CORE.... Getting really excited!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Warren Sullivan
Level 1
Level 1

Also with the 4948E, is there any way to etherchannel across multiple units for redundant but active server connection?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card