Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switching concept

Hi all,

One doubt i have. I am here to mention the details. We have one L2 switch , which we are using only for management purpose.  This uplink is connect to L3 switch . This is the simple design. But i have 1 query is that , before putting any end user device( router and switch) just for testing purpose we connect one laptop to L2 switch . And assign same ip segment in laptop. But ping is not happen locally from pc end also from remotely.  Why ? Everything is right but ping not happened. Then what i did , put a vlan number in a PC end which is assign in switch end for mgmt purpose. After assign the VLAN in PC end , its pinging. My question is normally in production network we have not assign any vlan number is PC. But here after doing this ping is happened. Please suggest. 

7 Replies 7

Hi,

Then what i did , put a vlan number in a PC end which is assign in switch end for mgmt purpose.

where did you configure vlan? in PC or in switch?

how switch port is configured? Normally, it should be access port with management vlan assigned to that port. Then, any device connected to port is assumed in vlan management and if it has IP from management vlan subnet then it should work.

For remote connections, ensure you have gateway on PC (or any devices connected to management port)

HTH,
Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.

I configured the vlan on switch end. And all the ports are access port . The mgmt vlan subnet is same what i configure in pc. But my question is why here we need assign vlan on PC. Normally we dont define at PC end. Just connect to switch and the pc is connect in production network 

Hello

@abhishek.mohapatra1984 wrote:

I configured the vlan on switch end. And all the ports are access port . The mgmt vlan subnet is same what i configure in pc. But my question is why here we need assign vlan on PC. Normally we dont define at PC end. Just connect to switch and the pc is connect in production network 

You dont, you just need to associate the access port to its related vlan

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello

@abhishek.mohapatra1984 wrote:

We have one L2 switch , which we are using only for management purpose.  This uplink is connect to L3 switch 

I assume that uplink is at present an access port connecting to the L3 switch, if you wish for end users to work on the new attached L2 switch then that uplink to the L3 switch should be a trunk ( assumption here is that you have multiple vlans on the L3 switch)

Lasty you then only need to assign the associated vlan to an access port for the enduser to be able to reach end users assigned to other vlans within your local network.

This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi paul,

Thanks for the suggestion . But here there is no need to define trunk , because only  one mgmt vlan is passing through uplink.  That why i define access.  My question is why we need to define vlan at PC end. There is no require here. Before define PC at PC end it is not pinging, then after it is pinging after putting vlan at pc end. 

STD_NetWorld
Level 1
Level 1

@abhishek.mohapatra1984  Could you confirm switch model?

from the discussion here, what i assuming switch interface is configured with VLAN tagging. by default when we configured access port on cisco IOS switch it will forward traffic outside without TAG.

here, your switch is forwarding traffic to laptop with VLAN Tagging and because of that when you configure vlan on laptop it's working. for solution I would say pls configure switch interface as access/untagged and try.

Hi,

actually this huawei model L2 switch. I only assign access to all ports with vlan number. i think there is no concept in vlan tagging. i just plug in the laptop to one access port with same segment ip. Why i assign vlan at pc end. By default it is pinging if you connect at switch end .

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card